Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Suggestions for hiding pool equipment

1. Back To Top    #1

Suggestions for hiding pool equipment

Hello
    We are building a beautiful outdoor gazebo, and once built our far view to the right will be the attached picture. I would like to hide both pumps, and as much of the pipes as possible. Obviously I would like to maintain comfortable access to it all. The filter is 45" tall to the tip, so that will be tough to hide.
    Options:
    1) An L shaped hedge going around all of the equipment. 45 inch tall, ugly gigantic hedges. Plus having to trim and maintain.
    2) Some sort of hand-built wooden box that i could pop up over everything to service, or with 2 front-opening doors. The roof would slope downward for water drain, and I would have to make 3 cutouts for the 3 pipes that stick out - 1 in the front for the irrigation line to the valve, and 2 on the left--intake and return line. Again, it would have to be 45 inches tall which would make it a very big and bulky box. Or, I could make it lower, say 25 or 30 inches, and I could cut a hole on the roof so the filter stuck out of it.

3) Perhaps put up wooden panels used to grow vines, for example, around the perimeter; again, 45 inches tall.

Any other suggestions or thoughts please?

thank you
    16,900 gallon inground pool (16x30 with spa bench)
    Sta-rite cartridge filter
    Diamondbrite surface, redone in 2017.
    1.5hp Hayward Super Pump
    Hayward Navigator Pro suction cleaner with V-flex kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Suggestions for hiding pool equipment

I hid mine from view with Pompass grass. It was cheap and went with my tropical theme.
    you could build a brick or other wall and hide it that way as well.
    16 x 32 Grecian Vinyl. Salt-Aqua Plus PS-4, Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter, Hayward Ecostar SP34000vsp, Gulfstream HE-125-T-A Heat/Cool heat Pump

3. Back To Top    #3

If you could extend the "pump area" a little out into the lawn area on each side you could install a short fence with a gate (if there is no need for a roof structure). You would have many options (metal, wood, pvc), and it could be fairly maintenance free. Good luck,

Sciz
    Completed March 1, 2013. 12,500 gallon IG Lagoon Style w/swimout, walk-in steps, 15' x 30' x 3' - 5', Gunite, Wet Edge Technologies, Pebble Sheen - Northshore Tahoe, 2" Tennessee Fieldstone Coping, Belgard Country Blend Pavers, 1.5 HP Superflo, 19" Tagelus Filter, IC-20 SWCG.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Sciz Milson
    If you could extend the "pump area" a little out into the lawn area on each side you could install a short fence with a gate (if there is no need for a roof structure). You would have many options (metal, wood, pvc), and it could be fairly maintenance free. Good luck,

Sciz
    thank you
    what you mean by "extend" the area ?
    1.5hp Hayward Super Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by nabril15

Sciz
    thank you
    you mean, extend the concrete below so that it extends past the pumps?
    I got that impression, too.

Personally, I'd dig out the sod around the plumbing and line that area with weed cloth then cover it with gravel, in case you ever have to dig up the plumbing. Then maybe put one of these low plastic fences around everything. Careful you don't nail a pipe when you're planting fence posts!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

I just meant to create a larger "service area" outside the existing concrete. I like the idea of the gravel as Richard stated. Essentially you would place a low fence app. 1 - 2' outside the perimeter of the existing slab, remove the sod and replace with weed block and gravel. You would probably want to put in a gate so that you can access the "pool equipment service area" more easily. Additionally you could plant some flowers or plants to further hide the fence and insulate it from the pool equipment and condensing unit noise. The only problem I could see is if the window shown in the picture has an essential view. Looks as though right now it does not have any obstructed view out to what I am assuming would be the pool area. Good luck,

Sciz.
    Completed March 1, 2013. 12,500 gallon IG Lagoon Style w/swimout, walk-in steps, 15' x 30' x 3' - 5', Gunite, Wet Edge Technologies, Pebble Sheen - Northshore Tahoe, 2" Tennessee Fieldstone Coping, Belgard Country Blend Pavers, 1.5 HP Superflo, 19" Tagelus Filter, IC-20 SWCG.

7. Back To Top    #7

I just meant to create a larger "service area" outside the existing concrete. I like the idea of the gravel as Richard stated. Essentially you would place a low fence app. 1 - 2' outside the perimeter of the existing slab, remove the sod and replace with weed block and gravel. You would probably want to put in a gate so that you can access the "pool equipment service area" more easily. Additionally you could plant some flowers or plants to further hide the fence and insulate it from the pool equipment and condensing unit noise. The only problem I could see is if the window shown in the picture has an essential view. Looks as though right now it does not have any obstructed view out to what I am assuming would be the pool area. Good luck,

Sciz.
    understood...thank you very much. A good idea.
    1.5hp Hayward Super Pump

8. Back To Top    #8

If a level line was strung from the top of the pump (the tallest piece correct?) to that window, where would it intersect the window.

If you did the small fence, and the pump was still sticking up, now i'm just gonna throw this idea out there, could get pretty crazy, but you've seen the disguised cell phone towers? Down here they disguise them as huge pine trees. But you could try going to a craft store and buying some silk vines or something and gluing them to the top of that filter....or make a cover for it and glue them to that, that just slips over and rest on the top of the filter.
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by harleysilo
    If a level line was strung from the top of the pump (the tallest piece correct?) to that window, where would it intersect the window.

If you did the small fence, and the pump was still sticking up, now i'm just gonna throw this idea out there, could get pretty crazy, but you've seen the disguised cell phone towers? Down here they disguise them as huge pine trees. But you could try going to a craft store and buying some silk vines or something and gluing them to the top of that filter....or make a cover for it and glue them to that, that just slips over and rest on the top of the filter.
    yes, on the back side the irrigation pump is sitting right on the left border of the window. So if I add anything, I will be right up to the window. Fortunately, the window is not a critical one with a gorgeous view of a beach or mountains. I like the idea to disguise the 45 inch filter.

thanks a lot.
    1.5hp Hayward Super Pump

10. Back To Top    #10

Well post pictures if you ever do...

I'd get this http://www.meijer.com/s/nearly-natural- ... pid=104884

and cut it up and glue it on, not sure how i would accomplish it.

Upside down round kitchen trash can and some tubes of construction adhesive (assuming it would adhere to trash can) might work, cut a hole to allow gauge to be visible at top. We could brainstorm this for a solid hour.....
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing