Hot Tub Cabana? Tent? House?

harleysilo

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Mar 1, 2012
North Georgia
So I have a standalone hot tub that we’ve had for several years prior to building our pool. When we built the pool we added a section of concrete rectangular in design to accommodate our current round hot tub. The idea being that we would probably replace our current hot tub with a larger square one in the future, the pad design would allow for the new hot tub to be pushed to one end of the rectangle and allow a few feet of concrete to enter/exit tub without being in the walking (no running) 3’ area around the pool.

This winter we kept the hot tub running but it was rarely used cause it was too windy and cold for it to be enjoyable. The long frigid walk back indoors was unbearable. We’ve started using the tub now that it’s consistently in the 50’s and the other day I had an idea. We’ve had a cantilever umbrella beside the hot tub to keep the sun off of it last summer. I raised the umbrella, got a tarp out of the garage, and huge it from the umbrella with a bunch of Large Black paper clips. It fell about 3’ short of totally enclosing it, and went all the way to the ground. The result was a much more comfortable hot tub experience albeit with no nighttime stars or moon, but also a feeling of seclusion/grotto/cavelike.

So I tell the wife, you know what would be nice, 4 posts and a roof with real (or fake plastic) thatching. Once permanent solid wall on the back and 3 removable semi solid walls on the remaining sides including a glass porch door (for the late summer/fall/winter/spring cold seasons).

So my thoughts are I have two options for installing the 4 posts.

1) Just outside the concrete rectangle I dig down and set the posts in concrete
2) I attach a galvanized steel base to the concrete and then attach the posts to that, much like a deck post can be attached to a footing.

My concerns are that by adding a roof, I’ve created a sail that could cause the whole thing to fly off in super high winds.

Option 2 would be easier, but posts would be attached to bases with just like 4 nails if I remember correctly.

As far as semi solid walls, I am looking for suggestions. I guess I was thinking something that would let a little light in, like maybe a frame with some sort of fabric on it. Semi cold also for ease of installation/removal/storage. I guess stopping the wind is more important that insulation properties. I figured if it was cold out I’d just go out open the cover and let the hot tub heat up the room for a few mins prior to using it. I have an electrical outlet near by that I could tap into for some lights.

Shelves and towel holders would be a must.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.