Union connections for RayPak heater

Mar 15, 2013
Yucaipa CA
I am having to replumb my pool system some because i am installing a solar system. I will have to be replacing the unions going to my RayPak heater and am wondering if they are some special thread size. Would the female side of the unions i can get at Homedepot fit properly or do i have to order something special for RayPak heaters?

skeeter

You do realize that there is more to it then what you might think. The unions fit over a nipple that then you screw the union onto the header. I wouldn't try to replace them with something from Home Depot. Why not just cut your PVC pipe so that you can couple it back together and not mess with the unions?

Order these, either from this place or some where else, and do it right if you have to.

http://www.poolpartsonline.com/p-13462- ... t-kit.aspx

Believe me i would if it was that easy. The previous pool heater installers decided to glue a 1 1/4" compression coupler directly to the heater outlet union which then goes to an old 1 1/4" brass 3 way valve going to the spa and heater. The 3 way valve is bad and leaks internally and parts are not available for it anymore. It's the original from 1978. I have a new 2" Jandy for it. The inlet union for some stupid reason has a 1 1/2" pipe reducer glue to it. I replaced the filter and heater about 8 years ago at separate times and for the life of me i cannot figure out why they used 1 1/2 pipe to go between the filter and heater which both use 2" fittings. Anyway i need to replace them when i replumb. the last time i looked at it i thought it looked just like a normal union and was wondering if the threads would match up. I will check again and see. If i have to buy the manufacturer ones than so be it. The homedepot ones whould be about $10 cheaper for a pair. Are your only concerns about using the home depot ones is they might not fit correctly?

skeeter

I just found some pictures of the RayPak unions and i must say they look almost exactly like the HomeDepot ones. unless the thread size is different and/or the composition of the plastic would cause problems why couldn't they be used?

skeeter

Ok, just found a problem. I don't think the HomeDepot ones will work. It looks like from one picture i found the o-ring groove is on the wrong side of the union. Not sure if that one was actually a Mueller Global union like they sell at HomeDepot but i get the feeling it is. I will have to check it out at HomeDepot as soon as i can.

skeeter

OK, last post just to answer anybodies question. The aftermarket unions will NOT fit on the Raypak heaters or any other heater i could find. The o-ring is on the opposite side of the union for the after market unions. So don't waste your time and go out and buy the ones built for it from Raypak. Thanks everyone for listening, hope someone learned something like i did.

skeeter

Resurecting an old thread to see if anyone can give me advice or confirm my findings.
I have similar problem as the original poster. But with a heat pump and not a gas heater.
Acquired a used RayPak R8350ti-E heat pump for a really good price (as long as it works). And in the rush with the movers, left the flexible hose connections and union fittings behind. Stupidly thought that standard unions would fit and would be easy to obtain.
A lot of searching later, anything with the RayPak name on it seems to be very rare and the cost is astronomical IMO (40$ per union or more in some cases).
Looking at the union on the heat pump, I noticed it was identified as <2 2" LASCO>.
And yes, LASCO fittings have ACME threads and not standard V-threads. EUREKA!
Then I found that finding the LASCO fittings is a monumental task.
I may have succeeded. For those in the USA:
Schedule 40 PVC Unions by Lasco | Zoro.com

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.