Intex pump failer?

Jan 17, 2013
Has anyone had any problem out of an Intex sand filter pump. Mine was working fine yesterday, then all of a sudden
I look outside and nothing. Check on pump it's hot. I let it cool off and try to restart it and it start whining. Looks like it's toast. Can you hook another pump to the intex sand filter?

my 1600 gph intex sand filter pump combo only lasted 3 weeks and Intex sent me a new pump and filter combo and I did not even have to send the original one back, but I hooked up a Hayward half horsepower pump to my sand filter and it works great, have you tried removing the pump strainer basket and look to see if any debris is in the impellor that is what was wrong with mine, mine had hair in there took out the hair and spun the impellor by hand and turned it back on and it works perfect......Mike

Yep, mine stopped working after about 6 months. Intex had already replaced it out of the box so they wanted me to send it back. I had a new one on hand so I hooked it up. Pressure is higher on the filter but I'm not going to see about it. Pool is crystal clear.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you don't mind, what day of the week and time of day did you call? I just got off the phone with customer service about a SWCG that won't generate chlorine despite it running through the cycle. I was told my salt was low. That isn't what the salt test says and I don't get a low salt error code. I was told the sun is burning off the chlorine. There is 50 PPM CYA and it has been cloudy most of the time I have had the pool open this year. When I explained that the bubbles I used to see are no longer there, I was told there are not supposed to be any bubbles. At that point I just gave up. It was clear that I was getting nowhere and she was not going to honor the warranty. I can't decide whether to try again or just let it go.

People complain about bad customer service from phone and cable companies, but they cannot touch the experiences I have had with Intex over the last few years. I was finally able to get a pump gauge replaced last year, but even then I came away wishing I had just bought one.

The 1600 Intex pump we had lasted a year and a half. I believe it is equivalent to a half horse pump. I found a used 1/2 horse pool pump at a garage sale and hooked that up to the little 14" intex sand filter. That was the hard part getting the hoses to fit and adapt from the pump to the Intex filter. It took a lot a ingenuity but it worked for the remainder of the season until I could replace it all.
So yes, you can use another pump with the intex filter as long as the new pump doesn't exceed gpm rating or the filtering capacity of your sand filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.