Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chemicals hurting liners

1. Back To Top    #1

Chemicals hurting liners

My pool is getting a new 27 mil Pacific liner today. Pool guy is telling me we have to use his brand of chemicals to ensure no damage to the liner. He is also telling me using any other brand or generics voids the liner warranty. Is there any truth to that? Sounds like a sales scam to me but has anyone gone after the liner manufacturer for a defect and had this challenge? I am adapting the BBB method so I am not sure how that plays into the warranty.
    17x27x37 (24000 gallons) Lagoon Vinyl liner, Hayward Eco VS Pump, Hayward 4350 DE Filter, Auto Pilot SWG, Savi LED Lighting, Maytronics Dolphin M4 Vacuum

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chemicals hurting liners

How long is the warranty?
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

That's ridiculous. You can damage a liner with the improper application of chemistry but his chemistry is no different than any other's.

Even if you had a warranty claim, they would simply say YOU damaged the liner and not there chemistry and then walk away.

I wouldn't deal with him.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Warranty is 20 year limited and 5 year full replacement from manufacturing defects. What that really means, who knows.
    17x27x37 (24000 gallons) Lagoon Vinyl liner, Hayward Eco VS Pump, Hayward 4350 DE Filter, Auto Pilot SWG, Savi LED Lighting, Maytronics Dolphin M4 Vacuum

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm with duraleigh. Sounds like its the kind of company that they'll fight any warranty claim no matter what you do.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

6. Back To Top    #6

Ask yourself this. WHO is warranting the liner? The manufacturer........or the pool guy. Ask HIM who makes it and say you want to call them.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

The liner, with pool water managed perfectly, will probably not last 20 years anyway
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

The only thing that's really covered is the seams separating and it's directly from the mfg. The vendor doesn't warranty the liner.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit