Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can a chlorinator be used to dissolve/add CYA?

1. Back To Top    #1

Can a chlorinator be used to dissolve/add CYA?

I switched to a salt chlorine generator system a couple years ago, but my old chlorinator is still plumbed in. Can I put granular CYA into the chlorinator as a means to dissolve it, perhaps more quickly than the sock in the skimmer method?

Otherwise, I'm thinking of making a PVC rig to screw into the return that will allow the return flow to more quickly dissolve it. Has anyone already made something like this? I'm thinking of using a reducer to connect maybe a 4-6" diameter PVC pipe that's long enough to hold several pounds of CYA, with a filtered outlet to prevent the granules from blowing out. I'd hate to reinvent the wheel if someone already has a proven design out there!
    33,000 gallon, IG vinyl, Hayward Super Pump, 1.5 Hp single speed, sand filter, salt system, built 2002

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Can a chlorinator be used to dissolve/add CYA?

If you don't need to backwash your filter for the next week, simply pour it slowly into the skimmer and let it dissolve in the filter.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    If you don't need to backwash your filter for the next week, simply pour it slowly into the skimmer and let it dissolve in the filter.
    That's what I do when I need to add it.

4. Back To Top    #4

I anticipate several backwashes while doing the initial spring cleanup, but I need to get the CYA level up in the meantime to help with the clean up--it's near zero.
    33,000 gallon, IG vinyl, Hayward Super Pump, 1.5 Hp single speed, sand filter, salt system, built 2002

5. Back To Top    #5

Put it in an old sock or nylon and hang it in front of a return. Squeeze it often to speed up the process.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

6. Back To Top    #6

I like the idea of making something that screws into the return. Now whether or not it's worth the effort is an entirely different story.

From making water coolers for my pool i learned that i could restrict them fairly well and not cause the pump to act up. If you wanted to do that i'd just get the fitting that screws in to the return, and then maybe step it up to 3" or 4" pipe. Obviously you'd have to cap it, and allow a place for water to exit the contraption with out losing undissolved CYA. Perhaps a cap with a bunch of holes drilled in it, the sock you put your cya in will keep it in the pipe. Or if you want no sock then cover the holes with window screen you glued in.

Maybe this is over thought. How about just the fitting to screw in return and short length of pipe followed by one union to create a lip on end of pipe. Slide sock over union onto pipe and ziptie in place....
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

7. Back To Top    #7

I just put it in a nylon knee high and chunk it in the skimmer basket. Works great.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Woodyp has the right approach since you need to clean your filter. Using that puck feeder is a big unknown and perhaps cause you some issues no one anticipates. (clogging up)
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Is there any concern for the effect of the presumably lower pH of the water going through the SWG if dissolving the CYA directly in the skimmer? Can it hurt the salt cell?