Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question regarding CH and Pristine Check

1. Back To Top    #1

Question regarding CH and Pristine Check

Hi all. I'm new to pools as we bought a new home which has an AG pool. I found this site and think I am learning a lot. It started as a green swamp, and I had already began trying to clear it up before finding this site. Long story short, I quickly went the the bleach option after finding this site and ordered a recommended test kit. (Kit is due Tuesday.) Anyway, I used the guess by color method and seemed to have some success, because my water is no longer green. (It is not cloudy, but we'll tackle that one after I get the test kit and get accurate test results.) I had already purchased some test strips from Lowes which have six readings on them. According to those, my FC is now holding. I will also confirm this once my test kit arrives.

Now, onto my real question. The test strips from Lowes indicate my CH is high. I haven't acted on it yet, because I've learned from this site that I need results from the TF100 kit I have coming. I have at least been studying on CH in case the TF100 kit confirms what the strips are indicating. Anyway, I see where it seems the only way to lower CH is by draining part of the pool. Does Pristine Check not preform as advertised, or does it have other bi-products which cause more negatives than the positive of lowering the CH?
    12Kgal, AG, Sand, Hayward Swim Pro SW256T PAKS

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question regarding CH and Pristine Check

It makes a huge difference where you live. Some people will never be able to have CH in the "ideal" zone just because of the hard water.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Question regarding CH and Pristine Check

Welcome to tfp, VOLmaniac

Quote Originally Posted by VOLmaniac
    Anyway, I see where it seems the only way to lower CH is by draining part of the pool. Does Pristine Check not preform as advertised, or does it have other bi-products which cause more negatives than the positive of lowering the CH?
    There have been a number of products that claim to be miracle cures to lower CH, but I am not aware of any that have actually worked effectively. Pristine Check is a new one to me, but I bet it is similar to the other ones.

The surefire way to lower CH is drain/refill. Richard320 is our resident expert on tapping into as much rainwater as possible landing on his roof and has lowered his CH that way.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.