Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cloudy Water

1. Back To Top    #1

Cloudy Water

Im clueless about pools, this is the second year owning a home with a pool. Just found this site, it would have been very helpful last year. Ive battled green algea while opening my pool this year. The water started out a dark green/brown color. Ive got it somewhat cleared up and its now a very light blue. The problem I have now is that its very cloudy. I've tried a sink and sweep product and it didnt seem to make a big difference. What is the best way to clear the water? Ive backwashed the filter many many times, sweeped and vaccumed the pool at least a dozen time since I started to open it last week. I have also added about 15 lbs of soda ash bc the ph was very low at first. Thanks in advance for your help.

My test results are:

total hardness 250
    total chlorine 10
    free chorine 20
    ph 7.0
    akalinity 130
    cya 75
    Andy McManus Augusta, GA

15x30 IG, Hayward Pump, Hayward Clorinator, Baker Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cloudy Water

Welcome to TFP.

Where did you get those test results?
    You can't have FC higher than TC.

The first thing you need is a good set of test results.
    Just keep running the pump and filter.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

Even if you have killed all of the algae, which isn't obvious at the moment, it can still take a sand filter another week or two to clear up the water. If the algae is all dead you should see a visible improvement in the water from day to day, though it might only be a very small improvement.

Also, you need to be careful about adjusting the PH when FC is high. FC above 10 can invalidate the PH test results.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

My test kit cl reading only goes up to 10 for total chlorine. It doesn't test for free. I also have some aqua check 7 way strips. That's where I got the free chlorine number.
    Andy McManus Augusta, GA

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to TFP!

We will get you going in the right direction. First though, you will need to get a good test kit. We recommend the TF-100 from tftestkits.net, as it has all of the tests that you need and is an excellent value. You can also get the Taylor K-2006 which is good too, but much more expensive than the TF-100. You won't be able to find either kit in the pool store. Anyway, once you have your test kit, you can run the tests and post the results. Then, we can get you squared away.

6. Back To Top    #6

Will do. Thanks
    Andy McManus Augusta, GA

7. Back To Top    #7

Alrighty, kit came in today. Blows my old kit out the water. Here at the results

ph 7.5
    fc 15
    cc 2
    tc 17
    ta 120
    ch 320
    cya over 100 ( it was below the 100 mark when the dot went away)

It is still getting better a little bit each day but still cant see the shallow end bottom.
    Andy McManus Augusta, GA

8. Back To Top    #8

Cloudy water with CCs above .5 means you need to shock. However, shocking with a CYA above 100 (and we don't know yet how high above 100) is almost impossible. You are probably looking at a significant drain and refill.

Can you redo the CYA test with half pool water and half tap water? That will give you a better idea of what CYA you're looking at.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

9. Back To Top    #9

Redid the test with just pool water, still below line. With half and half it measured about 55. So does this mean the cya of my pool water is around 110? Is that still too high to shock?
    Andy McManus Augusta, GA

10. Back To Top    #10

Yes, 110. We would recommend getting the cya down to 50 ppm before doing the shocking process, unless that chlorinator you listed in your sig is a Saltwater chlorine generator? If it is, then get your cya down to 70-80 before doing the shocking process.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

11. Back To Top    #11

It's not salt. It's an inline tablet chlorinator. What's the best way to lower it?
    Andy McManus Augusta, GA

12. Back To Top    #12

Draining and refilling is the only way to lower CYA.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months

13. Back To Top    #13

Ok. Guess ill bite the bullet and do that. How much should I drain? I only have one skimmer and don't have a pump.
    Andy McManus Augusta, GA

14. Back To Top    #14

In the Industry

Siphon it with a hose. If you replace 50% of your water, your CYA will drop by 50%.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

15. Back To Top    #15

What kind of pool surface do you have?

16. Back To Top    #16

Vinyl
    Andy McManus Augusta, GA

17. Back To Top    #17

Don't let the water get below a foot deep in the shallow end to protect your liner.

If you have a main drain you can run your pump to waste. Siphoning is a bit harder for an IGP. Last option is a submersible pump, either bought or rented.

18. Back To Top    #18

I don't have a main. Only skimmer. I will try to siphon when I get home
    Andy McManus Augusta, GA

19. Back To Top    #19

I have an above ground, so my usefulness has just run out (until you're refilled and ready to shock....then I'll jump back into the fray!).

Anybody else have any suggestions other than multiple drain/refills?

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by Smykowski
    I have an above ground, so my usefulness has just run out (until you're refilled and ready to shock....then I'll jump back into the fray!).

Anybody else have any suggestions other than multiple drain/refills?
    Submersible pump from Harbor Freight. Should run around $50. That or backwashing/wasting to the inlet level and refilling are really the only options.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast