Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Muriac acid application

1. Back To Top    #1

Muriac acid application

The directions always say put into a 5 gal bucket and then the pool. Is that just for safety so there's less chance of spilling on yourself, or is there another reason for the directions?
    36K gal, gunite w/ plaster,[18W x 38L x 8 deep end] 300SF cartridge, 80-100 GPM filter, Sta-rite S7M120 and Polaris 9300 electric robot. Rooftop 6 panel Solar heater, Sacramento Valley, Climate Zone 8

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Muriac acid application

Just safety..... but I like this.

Kneel by the pool in front of a return..pump running) and lower the bottom of the container into the water so it almost floats. Then, slowly tip the container to smoothly release the acid. I would do it with a suit and tie (if I owned a suit and tie). There is no spill

PS - if you have an AG pool and no decking, kneeling will make it VERY difficult
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

i use a measuring cup to make sure i am adding the proper amount per the pool calculator, and if you add it to a bucket you are doubling your chances of getting it on you. just pour it slowly in front of the return just above water level....ohhhhh and BTW you might want to hold your breath.....lol
    18x52 intex ultra frame pool 6981 gallons, 1 HP LL pump with 19 in sand filter,BBB method,borax 50ppm
    leslies DPD test kit + fas-dpd chlorine test kit + borates test strips
    thru wall skimmer,hard plumbed with 2 returns 1 1/2 sch 40 pvc
    1 large fountain 1 inch sch 40 pvc,shut off ball valves on all

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by fast1971chevelle
    i use a measuring cup to make sure i am adding the proper amount per the pool calculator, and if you add it to a bucket you are doubling your chances of getting it on you. just pour it slowly in front of the return just above water level....ohhhhh and BTW you might want to hold your breath.....lol
    Yes, definitely check which way the wind is blowing before you uncap the acid.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!