SECOND INTELLIFLO XF develops same leak?? how is this?

Apr 14, 2013
So I got an intelliflo XF last weekend. Got it all hooked up and three days later noticed a puddle under the pump - dripping from where motor meets wet end. Back to the store I went for an exchange. I was told this was a 1 in a million occurrence. Now after four days, the replacement pump is leaking in the exact same spot.

Pictures attached. Anybody else have an XF leak in this same spot? Pump hasn't lost prime, was started with a full basket each time. i'm thinking of going back to the more proven older VS models.

Can't wait to call the dealer again tomorrow:([attachment=2:31jm9z54]IMG_0549 - Copy.JPG[/attachment:31jm9z54][attachment=1:31jm9z54]IMG_0534 - Copy.JPG[/attachment:31jm9z54][attachment=0:31jm9z54]IMG_0536 - Copy.JPG[/attachment:31jm9z54]

Attachments

• IMG_0549 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0549 - Copy.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_0534 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0534 - Copy.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_0536 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0536 - Copy.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 212
Hmmm.. is there any point me getting another exchanged unit from the dealer if they are all likely part of the same batch?

I'm actually second guessing the Intelliflo VF choice for my pool now. I have 1.5" plumbing which the dealer said wouldn't be an issue. Very reputable Pentair dealer that has been great to deal with on many other things. Now i'm thinking I should have gone for something like the 1.5 HP Epump or the Intelliflo i1 (or something smaller).

Even before the pump started leaking, I still had a pesky 1" layer of air in the basket.

Grrr..

is it normal for water level to gradually drop 3/4" or so (in pump basket) after a 24hr + run at slower speed (~1300 RPM)? dealer was saying that I should set timer to run at high speed for a short period and level will go back up?

So Pentair dealer can't believe the second one is also leaking. Questioning my install, did I run the pump dry etc etc. I hate being in this position.. Looks like they are going to send someone out to check it leaking in the field. Probably best for them to see it with their own eyes.

Can a tech quickly replace a seal on the spot or should insist on a new unit?

Quick question... if this XF pump loses prime, does it try to regain prime automatically or does it automatically stop and stay in an error state? Just trying to figure out if the pump is losing prime and re-priming itself automatically.

Hi Tuna,
Sorry, (couldn't resist :)) My XF had a chirping motor, when the Tech heard I had 2" plumbing he swore up and down the pump was 2 big, cut it out and return it. He even went so far as to Flag the install with Pentair as illegal (because I was DIY) stating I had 1.5" pipe and no drain venting! would not come out till I sent him pics of the 2 drains in the bottom of the pool and a pic of the suction side of the pump. Just hope you don't get my Tech! He did me no favors. He replaced the motor and fixed the chirping, but forgot to turn the the spa suction back to normal and almost ran the pump dry (good thing my wife noticed it). Anyway, I will be following HMiser's lead in re-plumbing for a longer "intake" to the suction using as much 2.5 -3" pipe as I can to see if that improves the air cavity situation. HMiser seemed to correct his by upsizing to 2" at the pad, that may help your situation. As far as the seal, the are easily replaced onsite, but with your situation it will be interesting to see their response. Keep us posted!
PS mine has never lost prime, but water level has gone down to top of the suction, which drives me nutz!

Oh almost forgot, I added a check valve on the suction side to not lose prime when cleaning the basket etc, Tech said take it out, that is the worst thing you can do!??
Sunplay has the best price on XF unions I have found, $18 plus $5 shipping if under $75 or else free, and superfast shipping.
LB

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Take a VS instead of an XF if given the option.

It is normal for air to accumulate in the strainer basket when running on lower speeds. As long as the pump isn't pushing air into the filter that is expected and not a problem.

A tech can replace a seal, though often they will take the pump in for servicing instead of doing it on site. Seal replacement requires a couple of tools and removing the pump from the motor, plausible to do in the field but nice to have a good work space instead of a concrete deck to work on.

Thanks LB.. Seems they are sending out the Pentair regional guru to have a look. They can't believe two seals in a row.

Jason - curious why you would go back to VS instead of newer XF? Purely reliability?

The entire point of using an XF is to move more water than a VS is capable of moving. Moving huge amounts of water is the situation the XF has been optimized for, at the cost of lower efficiency and more side issues when moving small amounts of water. Your pool doesn't need anything close to the capacity of a VS, let alone the capabilities of an XF. The VS is a better pump when you are only moving relatively small amounts of water. Most likely you actually want an i1, which is significantly smaller than a VS and a better match for your situation.

Hmmm.. sounds like the Pentair dealer sold me the wrong pump. They insisted the XF was fine on 1.5" long as we ran it low and slow. Truth be told, the pump runs pretty dam good at 1400 RPM ~200 watts.

I take it the i1 has a different hydraulic design optimized for smaller piping? will I still get the same power consumption reduction as i'm seeing with the XF?

Grrrrr.. sour my dealer didn't even show me/ tell me about the i1 option. I clearly showed them pics of my pad, plumbing being 1.5" etc. They insisted XF was fine and that I would just have to "dial down" the RPMs.

We'll see what the senior Pentair Rep says when he sees that I have the XF:) He may go back and give the dealer heck.

While the XF is capable of producing higher flow rates than the VS/i1, it doesn't mean you have to operate it at those flow rates. At 3355 RPM, the XF will produce about the same flow as the VS at 3450 RPM. At 3070 RPM, the XF will produce about the same flow rates as the i1 at 3450 RPM. The great thing about a variable speed pump is that you make it any "size" you want. There is nothing wrong with having the XF, you just need to make sure you don't try and operate at higher RPM then you really need too. In most cases, you shouldn't need to run it at RPMs higher than 3000 even for priming. Keep it below 3000 RPM it will be as if you had an i1.

Also, I forgot to mention that reducing the size of an impeller is beneficial to a single or two speed pump but not a variable speed pump. A variable speed pump will lose hydraulic efficiency with the smaller impeller (i.e. re-circulation loss). This is the reason the XF is slightly more efficient than the VS or i1 at the same flow rate. It doesn't matter so much for a single speed or two speed pump because the loss in efficiency is made up in the drop in energy use due to the drop in flow rate. But since a VS can match any flow rate, there is no reason to downsize the impeller.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.