Filter Blow-through??

flcroc

Jan 27, 2012
I installed a new 1 HP Intelliflo last year and pretty much all of my runtime is on low speed. My Polaris is wired to run only on high speed. The pool is 20,000 gallon inground with an IC20 installed downstream of pump and sand filter. It seems that when I run in high speed, I end up with cloudy water and it takes several days of only low speed runtime to clear up. Of course in this time, I'm not vacuuming so I'm having trouble keeping the bottom clean, and we all know where that leads.

If anybody has past experience with something like this I'm all ears. I believe that my high speed flow is too high and blowing thru my filter; if this is the case I would think a valve to throttle flow rate downsteam of the pump would be a solution. I can restrict flow into the pump as of right now (balancing valves from skimmer and bottom drain) but I've never been a fan of starving a pump to flow down. Any ideas?

Your filter has a gpm rating that you can find online but it should be printed right on the filter. If your pump gpm is exceeding that filter gpm, you are probably correct. If you cannot take the pump down from high speed, Your idea of a throttle on the pressure side is fine.

Is there a reason the SWG will only operate on high?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.