Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bought a used Hayward Sand Filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Bought a used Hayward Sand Filter

I'm piecing together bits and pieces for a pool this summer from craigslist. I have a 15'x42" Summer escapes metal frame pool and today I got a Hayward S166T sand filter and pump. Here's my question, when I picked up the filter I was alone and it was insanely heavy. I tipped it over and poured water out of one of the top valves and also some sand poured out. Now I'm wondering if that was a bad thing, did I damage it? Am I'm going to need to replace that sand? It wasn't alot, probably only like 1/2 cup. I'm a total newb at this so I'm not even sure how to hook the thing up.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: Bought a used Hayward Sand Filter

Welcome to the forum. . If the laterals are uncovered you could check them very carefully but I think the easiest idea would be to hook it up and see what happens. It should be about 2/3 full of sand.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm trying to read the manual for my sand filter online. It mentions not getting sand in the laterals or the vertical pipe in the center but it doesn't say what happens if there is sand in those places.
    You suggested hooking it up and seeing what happens, is there any way to check it before I have the entire pool set up and filled? Also what am I looking for?

4. Back To Top    #4

I've been reading this forum all day and its making my head spin! Lol.

I'm starting to wonder if my pump and filter are mismatched/too big. I can't find any real info on the pump online, but its a 1 hp Baquapure workhorse pump. Is that too big for my sand filter, Hayward 16" S166T? I only paid $40 for the pair so I think I could resell them on craigslist if they weren't a good match to my 15x42" metal frame pool.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Gurnee, IL (North Suburban Chi-town)

If you got sand in the standpipe, all that would happen is that you would shoot it back into the pool. Next time you vacuum it would go back in the filter and you'd be set. If it's only a half cup that dumped out when it tipped, I wouldn't worry about it.

As for sizing, I have the next size up filter with a 1HP pump, and it's too much pump. I'm in the process or downsizing the impellers, but I won't know how much of a difference it makes for a few weeks.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry