Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Vac Line in wall - reduced suction, skimmer suction OK

1. Back To Top    #1

Vac Line in wall - reduced suction, skimmer suction OK

Well, I thought I had things down... I replumbed my pump outlet to repair a leak and added a union - all based on info I read here. All is well with that - the pump primes quickly and there are no visible leaks at all.

Here is the problem I am currently figuring out...

My pump primes up and runs well with I am getting water from the skimmer. I am getting limited suction from the dedicated suction line in the side of the pool. When I adjust the valve to turn off the skimmer and draw water only from the vac line, the water level in the pump housing and the check valve viewing window drops, and I do not get any increased suction or activity from the vac (a Kreepy Krauler Kadet).

It did work fine previously, so I don't know what may have changed? When the weather started to warm up here, I replaced the skimmer bascket, pump basket, and added a leaf canister to the vac line. Things worked fine with these additions.

Because the pump primes and works just fine with the skimmer on, this leads me to believe that I may have a partial clog in the line? Disconnecting the vac line from the wall, I only feel very weak suction at the wall - I am assuming that I should feel some appreciable suction on my hand.

In reading here, it seems like I should pick up a drain king and try blasting through from the pool wall to see if I can dislodge anything, and the do the same thing from the pump suction line backwards through the vac line? Since I have the leaf canister in place, I don't know what could have been sucked in, but I will try just about anything at this point.

I this doesn't do it, maybe I should exercise my home warranty and see what happens, though I would prefer to do it myself so that I learn the process in case it happens again in the future.

Thanks for the guidance - I appreciate it!

Bill
    =====
    15K gal, AG vinyl, 2 HP Waterways pump (2-speed), 150 sq ft cartridge filter 120gpm, installed 4/5/13
    Solar Sun Rings, considering other solar heating and heat loss prevention options for next year
    Used pool store chlorine with Taylor 2006 kit this year (awesome results), considering SWG for next year
    Separate 300gal comfort spa, cartridge filter, bromine floater, installed 2002

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Vac Line in wall - reduced suction, skimmer suction OK

Yeah, you got it - blast backwards with a drain king.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Cool thanks.... Worth a few bucks to give it a try for sure...

I am going to assume that the 1.5"-3" model will suffice....
    =====
    15K gal, AG vinyl, 2 HP Waterways pump (2-speed), 150 sq ft cartridge filter 120gpm, installed 4/5/13
    Solar Sun Rings, considering other solar heating and heat loss prevention options for next year
    Used pool store chlorine with Taylor 2006 kit this year (awesome results), considering SWG for next year
    Separate 300gal comfort spa, cartridge filter, bromine floater, installed 2002

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by MaytagMan
    Cool thanks.... Worth a few bucks to give it a try for sure...

I am going to assume that the 1.5"-3" model will suffice....
    I would imagine. The closer the thing is to the pipe size, the easier it is to get it to inflate and stay there.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!