Help figuring out my ancient pool equipment

Mar 31, 2013
Hey guys,

Ok, I a first time homeowner and my pool situation is a mess. I have really old equipment (possibly early-mid 80's) brass Purex pump which I believe is a 2 HP. My pool is a rectangle, aprox 14' x 36' with a 10' deep end and probably an avg. depth of 6' or so. I'm not sure what type of filter I have but it is a large stainless steel tank about 3' in height and 20" in diameter, I think it is an old Pentair SMBW 2000 series based on schematics I've seen. The manifold is in the bottom of the tank and everywhere I look on the net for advice it seems to only relate to top manifold models. Was this the old way of doing it? I took out the grids yesterday and cleaned them and cleaned out the tank. I ran the pump but the water doesn't seem to be filling up. After an hour or so of running it last night and trying different things I finally got it full but it was too dark and I was struggling to get the lid back on. This morning almost all of the water had drained back out. I turned the pump on again and nothing happened, then some water came in and it slowly filled up about half way then stopped again. I imagine as water enters the filter at the bottom it might exit just as fast because it exits on the bottom as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

p.s. Any ideas to get the lid back on easier?

Some pictures would really help.

Are you trying to fill the filter with the lid off? Because your pump ought to be able to fill that thing to overflowing faster than you can get around to kill the switch! Did you leave something out? You mention grids, which implies a diatomaceous earth filter. All the water should go through the grids, and even uncoated, I can't imagine any pump being unable to overwhelm them.

Richard320 said:
Some pictures would really help.

Are you trying to fill the filter with the lid off? Because your pump ought to be able to fill that thing to overflowing faster than you can get around to kill the switch! Did you leave something out? You mention grids, which implies a diatomaceous earth filter. All the water should go through the grids, and even uncoated, I can't imagine any pump being unable to overwhelm them.

I was filling with the lid off. I don't think I left anything out. I put all the grids into their holes and yes it is a DE filter. Another question I have, I noticed that on newer filter it says that there are usually 7 standard grids and one shorter one. On my older model all 8 of them are the same width.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.