Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Light spots pebble tec

1. Back To Top    #1

Light spots pebble tec

I have noticed large sections of light spots on my pool. I will try to get pictures up, but it's tough to see depending on clouds/shadows. What could be causing the spots? Ph and chlorine are in line, calcium hardness is 150, any advice would be appreciated.

When I scrub them nothing happens.
    15k freeform shotcrete sport pool 3.5-5-4, hayward swimclear c4030, 1.5hp hayward Northstar pump, polaris 280 with hayward booster, hayward turbo cell swg

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Light spots pebble tec

White spots are usually calcium scaling, though there are some less likely possibilities.

Please post a complete set of water test results and we can give you a better idea of what might actually be happening.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Will do
    15k freeform shotcrete sport pool 3.5-5-4, hayward swimclear c4030, 1.5hp hayward Northstar pump, polaris 280 with hayward booster, hayward turbo cell swg

4. Back To Top    #4

Fc- 5.0
    Cc- .5
    Tc- 5.5
    Ph- 7.2
    Ta- 30
    Ch- 150
    Cya- 0

5. Back To Top    #5

Your CH is pretty low. Should be at least 250. Unless your pool is indoors, you also need to get CYA up to 70. Low CH will leach hardness from your finish.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

6. Back To Top    #6

I will work on raising ch and cya this week, is it possible the low ch is causing the light spots?

7. Back To Top    #7

Consider this post as a possibility: white-spotting-of-new-plaster-pools-t56607.html

8. Back To Top    #8

They are not small spots... They are large 4-5 foot areas that just look cleaner/lighter than the rest of the pool. But I scrub around them and nothing changes. I'm hoping the water warms up soon so I can jump in with a mask I and get a closer look. It makes no sense. There are 2-3 sections that are very noticeable.

9. Back To Top    #9

The light spot is to the left of the vacuum
    Attached Images Attached Images

10. Back To Top    #10

Quartz or pebble? Date of plastering? Did you add a powdered chemical that sat on pool floor?

11. Back To Top    #11

Plaster was done Dec 2011, it is pebble, that was my original thought, that it could be salt or something, but it is in areas that I never would have poured. No powdered chemicals added, only salt. Since I have noticed the spots and my CH was low I have added to raise CH, but other than that, nothing that would have sat.

It is in other spots, but between the clouds and reflection it is hard to see in pictures.

12. Back To Top    #12

Well, if not from salt addition, then could be from a botched acid treatment after plastering. The alkalinity is low and should be raised, but wouldn't cause localized areas to turn white. How soon after plastering did you notice the white areas? Could also be from different exposure of pebble versus cement.

13. Back To Top    #13

I did not notice the discoloration until 2 weeks ago. That is why I was totally lost. I am hoping to get in the water in the next week or two and check it out up close. It's just too darn cold....You think the Ph would cause it....my Ph is normally 7.8 or so, but I added muriatic to get it down a little.

14. Back To Top    #14

No, the pH, TA, and CH isn't the issue. However, pouring undiluted acid in one spot could do it.

15. Back To Top    #15

That may be the answer. How do you typically add acid? I was shown to walk it along edge and in front of returns... No real solution if that's the problem except acid wash then?? Its just cosmetic if that is the issue correct?

16. Back To Top    #16

If the white areas were caused by pouring in acid, then an acid wash won't work, but sanding with sandpaper might. If it happens to be a deposit of calcium, then an acid treatment would probably work. It is just cosmetic however.

For adding acid, dilute the acid in a bucket and either walk it around and slowly add it, or slowly pour over a return line when pump is on.