Solar cover over half of pool?

tj__r

Jul 6, 2012
Way north of Chicago
Thinking about getting a solar cover. Pool is a free-form curving L shape, so it would be kinda difficult & expensive to get one piece to cover the whole thing. I'm thinking about just covering the deep end with about a 15'x30' cover trimmed to fit as in diagram below:
[attachment=0:2faazqkx]pool cover.GIF[/attachment:2faazqkx]

Does this make sense? Would it stay warm better to cover just the shallow end? Or do I need to cover all areas, maybe using two covers?

Other questions: Do I need a roller? We hope to use the pool once or maybe even twice per day if it ever warms up here. Advice on what type of roller?

Are Doheny's Clear-Tek covers any good? Looks like I can get a 15x30 16 mil from them for $112.

Thanks for any info you can give.

Attachments

• pool cover.GIF
    pool cover.GIF
    3.7 KB · Views: 79
Rollers are optional.

The cover really does the most by preventing heat loss to evaporation. So the more you cover the better. Seems like 2 covers would work well.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

As said most heat loss is due to evaporation. Covering half will help, but covering all is twice as good. Removing and replacing a cover is a PITA. So you need to decide if covering half wll achieve your needed result or not.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.