Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar cover over half of pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Way north of Chicago

Solar cover over half of pool?

Thinking about getting a solar cover. Pool is a free-form curving L shape, so it would be kinda difficult & expensive to get one piece to cover the whole thing. I'm thinking about just covering the deep end with about a 15'x30' cover trimmed to fit as in diagram below:
    [attachment=0:2faazqkx]pool cover.GIF[/attachment:2faazqkx]

Does this make sense? Would it stay warm better to cover just the shallow end? Or do I need to cover all areas, maybe using two covers?

Other questions: Do I need a roller? We hope to use the pool once or maybe even twice per day if it ever warms up here. Advice on what type of roller?

Are Doheny's Clear-Tek covers any good? Looks like I can get a 15x30 16 mil from them for $112.

Thanks for any info you can give.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    25000 gal inground curved L shape - concrete, fiberglass walls - with Jacuzzi Sherlock 160 cartridge filter, Laars Lite LLG gas heater & Klean-a-tron robot
    near the pool: Cookshack Smokette, Akorn Kamado grill, putting green
    in the shed: Deere greens mower, Simplicity FC-16 front cut mower

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Solar cover over half of pool?

Rollers are optional.

The cover really does the most by preventing heat loss to evaporation. So the more you cover the better. Seems like 2 covers would work well.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Solar cover over half of pool?

As said most heat loss is due to evaporation. Covering half will help, but covering all is twice as good. Removing and replacing a cover is a PITA. So you need to decide if covering half wll achieve your needed result or not.
    Tucson, AZ
    19k gallon Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS (3 hp) 011018, Super II 2hp (for spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE filter, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit