Need new Pump

Apr 23, 2013
Hello,

My current pool pump, sta-rite 1hp (K48K2PA105C1), is making a high pitched whining noise. I gather from other posts that it is likely a bearing issue. In any case, I am taking this opportunity to get a new more efficient pump.

My in-ground pool is 14,000 gallons, has 1.5in pipe with a bottom main drain, skimmer drain, and a port for a vacuum that I do not use. I also have a solar water heater system that is on the roof of my one story home (maybe 20-25ft high?). I use a DE filter, Pentair fns plus 48.

I was wondering, based on the above information, what pump size and type I should get? My main goal is to install the most efficient, cost effective pump that would maintain my pool. I understand that the variable speed pumps are great at saving power, but I wonder if a correctly sized two speed pump would be more economical.

Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for you time.

Welcome to the forum. :lol:
but I wonder if a correctly sized two speed pump would be more economical
I agree. A 2 speed will be quite a bit cheaper overall and, unless you live where electric is sky high, it's hard to get your money back on a VS pump.

A full-rated 2-speed 1 hp would be a good fit for your pool.

How about replacing the motor with a 2-speed, so you don't need to redo plumbing. I think A.O. Smith UQS1102R would be a 2-speed version of your motor (though it only comes as 230 volt). What is your voltage?

The B2981T comes with a timer. The B2981 is without the timer.

http://www.inyopools.com/Products/00200017039441.htm

This two speed is a larger diameter so check the motor support and make sure it has a piece that can be removed near the back end of the motor to accommodate a larger diameter motor. I don't think the Max-E-Pro has the spacer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.