Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need new Pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Need new Pump

Hello,

My current pool pump, sta-rite 1hp (K48K2PA105C1), is making a high pitched whining noise. I gather from other posts that it is likely a bearing issue. In any case, I am taking this opportunity to get a new more efficient pump.

My in-ground pool is 14,000 gallons, has 1.5in pipe with a bottom main drain, skimmer drain, and a port for a vacuum that I do not use. I also have a solar water heater system that is on the roof of my one story home (maybe 20-25ft high?). I use a DE filter, Pentair fns plus 48.

I was wondering, based on the above information, what pump size and type I should get? My main goal is to install the most efficient, cost effective pump that would maintain my pool. I understand that the variable speed pumps are great at saving power, but I wonder if a correctly sized two speed pump would be more economical.

Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for you time.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Need new Pump

Welcome to the forum.
    but I wonder if a correctly sized two speed pump would be more economical
    I agree. A 2 speed will be quite a bit cheaper overall and, unless you live where electric is sky high, it's hard to get your money back on a VS pump.

A full-rated 2-speed 1 hp would be a good fit for your pool.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to tfp, jstgtpaid

The model number you posted was for the motor. Is there a model number for the whole pump visible?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

It is the sta-rite Max-E pro.

5. Back To Top    #5

How about replacing the motor with a 2-speed, so you don't need to redo plumbing. I think A.O. Smith UQS1102R would be a 2-speed version of your motor (though it only comes as 230 volt). What is your voltage?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

6. Back To Top    #6

I checked the voltage and it is 115v. Do I have any other options for motor replacement?

Also, does 1hp seem like the right power for my setup or can I get a lower power pump?

7. Back To Top    #7

There is this motor: A.O. Smith B2981T that seems to fit the bill.

It is supposedly 115 volts with an integrated timer. Not sure why this isn't available without the timer? Maybe mas985 knows?

8. Back To Top    #8

I just sent mas985 a pm to take a look at your thread and this new motor suggestion.

9. Back To Top    #9

The B2981T comes with a timer. The B2981 is without the timer.

http://www.inyopools.com/Products/00200017039441.htm

This two speed is a larger diameter so check the motor support and make sure it has a piece that can be removed near the back end of the motor to accommodate a larger diameter motor. I don't think the Max-E-Pro has the spacer.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

10. Back To Top    #10

Another base option is part #C104-79P. This is the base for the 3hp Max-E-Pro which uses a 56Y size motor.
    ============================================================ ===========================================
    12,000 gal. IG Colorquartz, 1.65hp Sta-Rite with 2-spd motor, 300sf cartridge, disabled SWG, AquaLogic P4, Polaris 280, gas+solar, 6' sheer descent with dedicated pump

11. Back To Top    #11

So I could purchase the 2 speed motor, B2981 , and the base part #C104-79P and I should be good? should I replace any other gaskets, seals etc, while I have it open?

12. Back To Top    #12

Yes, you should get a seal kit and replace all the seals and o-rings.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

13. Back To Top    #13

I see tons of different kits and seals. Would you have a part number so I know that I am getting the right one? I appreciate your help on this.

14. Back To Top    #14

According to this it is a Go-kit 38 but I would check with them just to make sure. It looks like it depends on the manufacture date of the pump:

http://www.a1poolparts.com/-strse-Pumps ... gories.bok
    Mark