Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Looking for a replacement for my 7 year old Kreepy Krauly

1. Back To Top    #1

Looking for a replacement for my 7 year old Kreepy Krauly

Just opened my pool and it looks like my Kreepy Krauly needs to be replaced.

I have researched all the great info on this forum, and still can't decide which way to go. Really wanted to keep the purchase under $500, but the Dolphin Dynamic DX5 at $750 has me wondering.

On my short list, okay it is not that short, I have:
    Baracuda G3 - $260
    Kreepy Krauly - $315
    The Pool Cleaner - $360
    Hayward Navigator Pro - $375
    Baracuda MX8 - $399

I know what to expect with the Kreepy Krauly, but am wondering if there is new and better technology out there?

Would appreciate hearing what members would recommend, or which to stay away from, or why I should spend double on the Dolphin.
    18k, 2001 Ft. Wayne 18'x36' oval sport pool with polymer walls, IG, vinyl, 3.5' at ends and 5' in center, Pentair 1 1/2 hp 2-speed pump (new in 2014), Hayward S-200 Sand Filter, new Raypak RP2100 propane heater (installed 4/2013), 3 jets, 1 floor drain, 1 Polaris jet (never used), 2 skimmers, new Garrett liner (installed 4/2012)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Looking for a replacement for my 7 year old Kreepy Kraul

Nix the navigator from the experiences I have seen.

If you are going suction, the MX8 and the Pool Cleaner seem like the leading choices. They are the only 2 on my list if I decided to go suction.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I bought the MX8 for my new pool and I'm very happy with it so far. Has no problem climbing the walls or making it over the drain covers. Also.. right now the MX8 has a $100 rebate.. so that makes it only $299.00. Plus the rebate process was fast. I had my rebate in hand in two weeks.
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

4. Back To Top    #4

Note to get the $100 rebate, you have to spend over $399 on it, otherwise it will not qualify.

Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    Note to get the $100 rebate, you have to spend over $399 on it, otherwise it will not qualify.

Not exactly... I paid less.. provided copy of less... and received my $100 Visa Gift card...
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!

6. Back To Top    #6

Really ... that was not what the rebate form states.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

A reminder that every single part of a Kreepy Krauley is replaceable for a lot less than a new cleaner. Parts do need occasional replacement. I've replaced my hose assembly (they get stiff and develop pin hole leaks), the foot pad, the dive wings, the rod with rollers, the hose swivel and of course the pleated bottom pad. That's really not too bad for 18 years of use on a rough surface pool.
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    Really ... that was not what the rebate form states.
    Just pulled a copy of the rebate... The offer I used ended March 3rd...

9. Back To Top    #9

They started another rebate, so maybe they changed the requirements a little.

Jason, TFP Moderator