Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: A double dose of sink or swim

1. Back To Top    #1

A double dose of sink or swim

Hello everyone.

My wife and I just bought a house that has a spa and pool. I have no experience with either one- I told her "what I know about spas and pools you could put in a thimble and still have room for your finger"...hence my name. I have experience with plumbing systems and am comfortable with performing measurements, interpreting results and using data to apply corrective measures- so I don't feel intimidated by either setup, just no experience. I have read a lot on this forum and have already found a wealth of information...this place is GREAT ! The learning curve is pretty steep for a newb, but what I have read here has already helped a lot.

We haven't started up the pool yet, still a little early- but it won't be more than 2-3 weeks away. The previous owner told me he would come over and show me the ropes. I hope he follows through on his offer. I drained and refilled the spa and think it is doing fairly well- at least our skin hasn't fallen off or turned a weird color. Test strips show all parameters to be within limits. Reading here, it looks like I could use a better test kit, so I think one is in my immediate future.

A little about what I have that I can relate so far (and that isn't a whole lot- we haven't even taken the cover off the pool)-
    15x30 ft in ground pool- don't know if it is plaster or vinyl. I think plaster, but not sure.
    sand filter
    salt water system
    no heater

spa-
    7 foot square
    350-400 gallon
    ozone generator

I look forward to learning more by doing lots of reading here. As a rule, I'm not a huge participant in threads- I tend to shut up and listen rather than talk. I will post more about the pool when I find out about it.

Thanks again for the sharing of all this information- it will become a place I visit daily.

Mike
    15x30 IGP; 20,000 gallons; plaster
    Hayward SP2607X10 Pump; Purex Triton Tagelus Sand Filter
    Hayward Goldline T-Cell 15 SWG; Aquarite G1 Control
    Southwest Spas 400 gallon hot tub w/ozone
    TF 100 with speed stir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: A double dose of sink or swim

Welcome to TFP!

Yes, absolutely get yourself a good test kit. Most folks here use the TF-100 from tftestkits.net. It's top notch. Also, be sure to read Pool School.

I know it seems like a lot to digest. Since you have a bit before you open though, this will give you a chance to read up on things.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Hey, Thimble,

Welcome to the forum. Reading how you got your username makes me think I should change mine to "peabrain".
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

WELCOME! You are on the right track just finding this wonderful site!

Next thing is to order your test kit! It is the BEST thing you can do for your pool and wallet!

Once you get your test kit and do your first test post the results you will be able to post them here and be on the way to a clear pool!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to TFP Mike
    Pool IG, 20'x30'x5', 15,000 gals, QuartzScapes NPT Tahoe Blue, Sundek Classic Texture, DE Hayward Pro-grid DE7220 , Pentair erosion auto CH, Main PMP Century 1.5hp , Polaris 280, booster PMP Century 3/4hp, Electronics PNL timer/light Pro Logic Model AQL2-SS-RF w/Remote CNTL

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome to tfp, Mike

When I read your title I thought you were referring to a new flocculant or something...glad you weren't
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for the warm welcome. Seems to be a pretty friendly group here.

I got my test kit ordered, went with the TF-100. Now I'm looking for the little brown truck, then I can get things rolling.
    15x30 IGP; 20,000 gallons; plaster
    Hayward SP2607X10 Pump; Purex Triton Tagelus Sand Filter
    Hayward Goldline T-Cell 15 SWG; Aquarite G1 Control
    Southwest Spas 400 gallon hot tub w/ozone
    TF 100 with speed stir