An empty pool for the summer?

ov1guy

Apr 9, 2013
Greetings. I have purchased a house in Baja Mexico and I live there during the winter. During summer, I plan on being in Seattle for 6 months. I have a concrete pool with 1 inch square porcelin or glass tiles. They are grouted. My question is about draining the pool for 6 months. The water table is non existant. Am I looking for trouble by doing this? Is there a anger of the pool cracking? Danger of tiles coming off? Danger of seals in pump drying out? Other considerations? To keep it full will require a pool service of approx $1000.
Thank you,
Bob

Welcome to TFP!

Plaster really doesn't do too well without water. It can crack and develop problems from UV exposure. I think the tiles would be ok. Not sure about the pump seals.

Am I looking for trouble by doing this?
Very possibly. While some pools survive being neglected for years, the damage to the plaster in that dry climate could be a problem. Unattended pools always require a major cleanup at the VERY least. I would look for some sort of compromise pool service where perhaps they can do enough to keep it decent.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.