Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: An empty pool for the summer?

1. Back To Top    #1

An empty pool for the summer?

Greetings. I have purchased a house in Baja Mexico and I live there during the winter. During summer, I plan on being in Seattle for 6 months. I have a concrete pool with 1 inch square porcelin or glass tiles. They are grouted. My question is about draining the pool for 6 months. The water table is non existant. Am I looking for trouble by doing this? Is there a anger of the pool cracking? Danger of tiles coming off? Danger of seals in pump drying out? Other considerations? To keep it full will require a pool service of approx $1000.
    Thank you,

2. Back To Top    #2

Flower Mound, TX

Re: An empty pool for the summer?

Welcome to TFP!

Plaster really doesn't do too well without water. It can crack and develop problems from UV exposure. I think the tiles would be ok. Not sure about the pump seals.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Am I looking for trouble by doing this?
    Very possibly. While some pools survive being neglected for years, the damage to the plaster in that dry climate could be a problem. Unattended pools always require a major cleanup at the VERY least. I would look for some sort of compromise pool service where perhaps they can do enough to keep it decent.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Why cant he "winterize" the pool during the summer?
    It would take some extra time to open, but would cost less than $1000 for a company to keep it open. Or have the company come a week or so early and open?
    12500 AGP 2HP Sand filter
    Five years on BBB & loving it!