Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: An empty pool for the summer?

1. Back To Top    #1

An empty pool for the summer?

Greetings. I have purchased a house in Baja Mexico and I live there during the winter. During summer, I plan on being in Seattle for 6 months. I have a concrete pool with 1 inch square porcelin or glass tiles. They are grouted. My question is about draining the pool for 6 months. The water table is non existant. Am I looking for trouble by doing this? Is there a anger of the pool cracking? Danger of tiles coming off? Danger of seals in pump drying out? Other considerations? To keep it full will require a pool service of approx $1000.
    Thank you,
    Bob

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: An empty pool for the summer?

Welcome to TFP!

Plaster really doesn't do too well without water. It can crack and develop problems from UV exposure. I think the tiles would be ok. Not sure about the pump seals.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Am I looking for trouble by doing this?
    Very possibly. While some pools survive being neglected for years, the damage to the plaster in that dry climate could be a problem. Unattended pools always require a major cleanup at the VERY least. I would look for some sort of compromise pool service where perhaps they can do enough to keep it decent.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Why cant he "winterize" the pool during the summer?
    It would take some extra time to open, but would cost less than $1000 for a company to keep it open. Or have the company come a week or so early and open?
    12500 AGP 2HP Sand filter
    Five years on BBB & loving it!