Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG and sand filter question

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG and sand filter question

I run the sand filter for my AGP at night. Do I need to run the SWG with it or it's ok by itself?
    Summer Escape 4k gal-AG
    Intex sand filter 1600 GPH
    Intex SWG model 54601
    Taylor K2006 kit & Taylor Salt Water Test Kit K-1766
    Installed 4/29/13

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWG and sand filter question

The pump needs to be on when running the swg, so you should also be pumping through the filter.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

The SWG will only work when the pump is running.

You can dial in the run time so it runs anywhere from nothing - 0% - to full blast - 100% so that you create enough free chlorine that it never dips below the minimum for your CYA level.

This article in Pool School should help.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

I know the SWG only work when the sand filter is running. Can I run the sand filter itself or they both have to be running at the same time?
    Summer Escape 4k gal-AG
    Intex SWG model 54601
    Installed 4/29/13

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, you can run the filter by itself, but it seems unlikely that you should need to.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

6. Back To Top    #6

I guess I still am not sure how these work.

To my understanding is the sand filter runs every night to make water clean.

Only use the SWG when chlorine level needed?
    Summer Escape 4k gal-AG
    Intex SWG model 54601
    Installed 4/29/13

7. Back To Top    #7

The SWG must run on a sort of schedule to keep chlorine in the pool. It isn't something that you just turn on when you need chlorine, if that's what you're asking.