Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Why running a SWG in day time is better than at night?

1. Back To Top    #1

Why running a SWG in day time is better than at night?

I'm confusing after reading pool school section. I know that sun light consume chlorine, so why should I run my SWG at day time? Is it better to run in late evening and leave chlorine to work all night?
    -26 Cubic Meters (6,868 Gallon) On Ground Concrete pool with epoxies paint finished.
    -EMAUX FSF 400-6W Sand Filter&Pump Combo 6.48 Cubic Meters/Hour (1,711 Gallon/Hr)
    -EMAUX SSC15-T Salt Chlorinator (Cell output 15 g/hr)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Why running a SWG in day time is better than at night?

During the day the sun is using up the available chlorine whether the swg is on or not, so it is then when you need to maintain a high enough FC level so that algae won't start (the sun is also fueling any potential algae). At night, unless there are swimmers or other organics in the pool, there is nothing using the chlorine so your level should maintain without the swg.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

But, as long as the FC never drops below the minimum, then you can run the pump when you want. Especially if your power is cheaper at night.

Just verify in the evening before the pump comes on that the FC is still high enough.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks linen , jblizzle. I think my confusion is that I think chlorine kill algae, but it seam like what we want is to prevent algae to start.

Then the trick is do what ever not to lower FC below the minimum. I think I got it.
    -26 Cubic Meters (6,868 Gallon) On Ground Concrete pool with epoxies paint finished.
    -EMAUX FSF 400-6W Sand Filter&Pump Combo 6.48 Cubic Meters/Hour (1,711 Gallon/Hr)
    -EMAUX SSC15-T Salt Chlorinator (Cell output 15 g/hr)

5. Back To Top    #5

The key is the early evening test right after the sun has gone down. Without the SWG running during the sunny hours, this is when your FC will be at its lowest. My parents run their SWG up until Noon, when their electric rates take a jump. They have had to experiment with run time and duty cycle to get their minimum FC needs to be met consistently.

I am on a level rate plan, so I just run. Mine from 7:00 am until 5:00 pm.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

6. Back To Top    #6

Good points! High peak electrical rates might be a good reason to run off-peak (we don't have that issue here). In the end, as long as the minimum FC (swg) level is maintained, all should be good.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.