Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to plug holes in plastic ladder?

1. Back To Top    #1

How to plug holes in plastic ladder?

It's a long story I won't get into but my pool had an A frame ladder that was really too big for it and when I built a side deck, I couldn't convert it to a deck ladder. I came upon a plastic deck ladder for free and I'm trying to install it but the previous owner apparently drilled holes near the bottom of legs of the the ladder where it won't hold enough water to weight down the bottom of it. I have no idea why. Even with the top attached to my deck the bottom floats around till you get your weight on it. I'm OK with it but my wife dislikes it that way. So how would I go about plugging up the drilled holes? I know there are not may glues that will stick to the type of white plastic the ladder is made of. I really don't care if the hole plugs are watertight because I'd actually like to put sand in the legs to weigh them down but I can't have sand coming out into the pool.
    Thoughts an suggestions are welcome...
    Regards,
    Michael
    18ft. diameter, 48 inch deep Sharkline Reprieve AGP, 7000 gallons, Intex 14 inch sand filter with 3/4 H.P. 2,150 GPH pump, Intex SWG
    TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to plug holes in plastic ladder?

Silicon caulk.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    Silicon caulk.
    OK, wasn't sure that would stick. Holes are about 3/8", Think I can get the caulk to stay in there with nothing else? I still can't figure out why the holes were drilled but the ladder was free. Literally pulled from the scrap heap!
    Michael
    18ft. diameter, 48 inch deep Sharkline Reprieve AGP, 7000 gallons, Intex 14 inch sand filter with 3/4 H.P. 2,150 GPH pump, Intex SWG
    TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Count
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    Silicon caulk.
    OK, wasn't sure that would stick. Holes are about 3/8", Think I can get the caulk to stay in there with nothing else? I still can't figure out why the holes were drilled but the ladder was free. Literally pulled from the scrap heap!
    Michael
    If the ladder is acrylic resin or polystyrene or ABS, it should hold. Maybe not absolutely water tight, but tight enough to hold in the sand! Maybe rough up the area a little with some fine sandpaper.

The plastics that are hard to get things to stick to are polyethylene and polypropylene - tupperware, ziplock bags, ice chests, that kind of thing. And the really expensive engineering plastics like Nylon, Delrin, and Teflon, but a ladder made out of them would cost more than even the government would pay!

Another option might be a plug

You probably have some caulk laying around the house already, so use it first. If it doesn't stick, peel it off and try something else!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Maybe had an algae problem and had to drill the holes for circulation? Just a thought.
    Angie M.
    AG, 26' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame, vinyl, 14667 gal. And LOVING it!!! Hayward S15922S 1HP, 2SP pump and Hayward S220T Sand Filter. Hard plumbed with PVC, added second return, intex SWG, Hydro Pool widemouth skimmer. Set up in May 2012!
    N.E. Florida. TF100 - Best investment EVER! (Well, for the pool anyway)

6. Back To Top    #6

The ladder is " blow molded". Made by Confer plastics. I'm not sure what it is but I thought it was the type of stuff that was hard to find glue that would stick. The plugs seem like they will be the ticket. I have to go to Lowes anyway. Appreciate it!
    Michael
    TF-100 test kit