Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar cover - 8/12/16 mil?

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar cover - 8/12/16 mil?

I'm looking at buying a new solar cover, but not sure what thickness to go with. I see prices go up with thickness, and I gather that thicker cover would equal more heating. But are there any disadvantages to a thicker cover? I will use it on a 16x24 oval in-ground pool with a solar reel.
    16x24 oval (12500 gallon) in-ground vinyl Doughboy.
    Pump: Power Pak III 1 HP
    Filter: Sequel II DE

2. Back To Top    #2
    East Texas

Re: Solar cover - 8/12/16 mil?

They "supposedly" last longer, but the general consensus here is that they don't.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Yeah, I think woody is right.......most folks get as much use out of a cheap one as the expensive ones.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4
    Twin Cities, MN

One disadvantage to thicker covers are they are heavier and generally harder to manipulate.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.