pool uncovered, pump seized , chlorinate ?

May 23, 2007
north NJ
the pool was partially opened on friday; but when they went to start the pump it seized.
it will hopefully be replaced tuesday.

should i be putting liquid chlorine into the pool ?
or just let it go until the pump is installed and then shock it ?

(i'm in north jersey: forecast is 40s-60s/low 70s)

thanks
- lindaspoolboy

If your water temp is close to 60, I would get some chlorine in the pool. Stir it around with a boat paddle or board. The little bit of Clorox it takes is WELL worth it if it prevents algae from forming.

A Wall Whale can move a whole lot of water really fast, in case you're in the market for a new brush head this season anyway. Two or three passes would get the bleach completely dispersed.
Wall_Whale_Swimsafe.jpg

Mine was seized as well when I first tried to start it. I tapped the side of the motor at each end (where the motor bearings are) a few times to try to job the bearings loose. If yours was like mine, a small seal leak last year probably got into the bearings. I was able to get the motor running, but it is obviously not going to last long from the sound of it. I'm awaiting arrival of a new 2-speed motor now. At least I am able to circulate added chemicals and keep the water from stratifying (warm water layer near the surface that algae love) with the old motor in the mean time.

If "percussive maintenance" doesn't let it start, the end of the motor shaft should have either a hex or a screw driver slot that you can use a tool to try to unfreeze it.

Mine was seized at the beginning of last year as well. I took the motor off and used vice grips on the lower portion of the shaft and got it to spin manually. Once it was freed, I lubed it with a little WD-40 and it lasted for almost a full month before finally giving out for good.

FYI, when the pump motor finally went, I went a week without filtering and didn't add chlorine in the middle of July. I had zero algae when the new pump motor finally arrived. When I got everything running I shocked the pool to be safe, but there were no signs of algae after even a week.

Kevin

kodiak1120 said:
Mine was seized at the beginning of last year as well. I took the motor off and used vice grips on the lower portion of the shaft and got it to spin manually. Once it was freed, I lubed it with a little WD-40 and it lasted for almost a full month before finally giving out for good.

FYI, when the pump motor finally went, I went a week without filtering and didn't add chlorine in the middle of July. I had zero algae when the new pump motor finally arrived. When I got everything running I shocked the pool to be safe, but there were no signs of algae after even a week.

Kevin

I still would not recommend going without chlorine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.