Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intex pool, ideas for under the liner besides foam board

1. Back To Top    #1

Intex pool, ideas for under the liner besides foam board

Has anybody ever used tar paper(roofing paper) under an intex pool? I have sand where my pool goes and am looking for a barrier between the liner and pool(lots of small rocks my dog has dug up while the pool is down for the winter). I cant afford to do the foam board insulation this year so i am looking for other ideas. I happen to have a roll of the smooth tar paper. Would this work?
    Intex 20'x48" ultra frame pool. Pro line DE filter 3/4 hp pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Intex pool, ideas for under the liner besides foam board

Welcome to tfp, Flutterbyecry

Quote Originally Posted by Flutterbyecry
    I happen to have a roll of the smooth tar paper. Would this work?
    I wouldn't use it, the petroleum products in it could damage your liner.

What is your ground like? If it is smooth, then maybe just a tarp?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Im trying not to spend too much, i have two tarps that would fit the size of my pool, can i tape the tarps down the center? There would be no grommet holes under the pool. I have sand as a base, but there are a tun of small rocks that work there way up. Every year i end up tiny holes from the smallest of rocks.
    Intex 20'x48" ultra frame pool. Pro line DE filter 3/4 hp pump

4. Back To Top    #4

Well the tarps will help, though the thicker the better. You can tape them with something like gorilla tape, but the seams will likely show through the pool bottom. That is not really a problem, but debris might collect there.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

Just a suggestion, don't use duct tape. I used it on the foam insulation and it lost its grip. I wish I had used the gorilla tape.
    Angie M.
    AG, 26' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame, vinyl, 14667 gal. And LOVING it!!! Hayward S15922S 1HP, 2SP pump and Hayward S220T Sand Filter. Hard plumbed with PVC, added second return, intex SWG, Hydro Pool widemouth skimmer. Set up in May 2012!
    N.E. Florida. TF100 - Best investment EVER! (Well, for the pool anyway)

6. Back To Top    #6

I invested in pond underlayment to put under mine. It was like $115 for a 20' X 20' and is 45mil thick.

7. Back To Top    #7

Old carpet, it will smell bad when the pool is taken down, but if you can get it free off craig's list who cares.
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320