Sep 2, 2010
Montreal, QC, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hi,

I have an Aquarite T-CELL15 SWG, I bought one of those premixed bottles os cell cleaner solution that you can find at your pool store, it wasn't cheap, around $20 for a 2Litre bottle.

Anyhow, I bought myself one of those cell stands, I had my bucket all ready, I first rinsed out the cell with a hose and then I fitted it with the stand and I poured almost the entire 2Litre bottle of cell cleaner in the cell, enough so that it covered the cells.

I left it there for around 30ish minutes but there was no fizzing or bubbling and I don't see any of the gunk from the cells removed, in fact I emptied the content of the SWG in to the bucket and the liquid looked clear.

The cell cleaner was purchased about two years ago but had never been opened, but it had been stored in my cabana throughout the winter and summer months.

Did it lose potency? What should I do next?

I've never used muriatic acid, ill drop by the pool store tomorrow to pick some up, so much for the premixes, I guess I should have known better, the instructional videos always have people doing the mixes.

elwood58 said:
Rockstead said:
I've never used muriatic acid, ill drop by the pool store tomorrow to pick some up, so much for the premixes, I guess I should have known better, the instructional videos always have people doing the mixes.

What do you use as a pH reducer? With the SWG, I know your pH must drift up.

My pool is only open 4 months of the year and I test pretty regularly and I think I may have only had to lower the PH once and I think I used one PH- but in general I don't have issues with PH, is that weird?

I guess you are saying I could be using muriatic acid as a PH- and I'm guessing I should buy it fon a Home Depot type store as the previous poster mentioned, would probably be cheaper too.

I'm starting to thinkg it wasn't the pre-mixed solution, I bought the acid, I nissed 4 parts water and 1 part acid and I ended up with the exact same results. I attached a picture this time.

I should add the cell had never been cleaned before in 3 years but only 3-4 months of of usage for each year.

Does it require a stronger mix? Every video always shows the 4 parts to 1 part and it always looks clean.

jhalpinjr said:
Did you buy the 31% solution? At 4:1 you should have had some reaction. You can increase the acid amount but I wouldnt go higher than 3:1.

I missed looking at the percentage of the solution, they had a small boottle and a big bottle and I bought the big one, I'll confirm the percentage when I get in this evening.

Depending on the percentage, what are the different ratios to mix acid to water?

I guess 31% would be 4 to 1

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Rockstead said:
jhalpinjr said:
Did you buy the 31% solution? At 4:1 you should have had some reaction. You can increase the acid amount but I wouldnt go higher than 3:1.

I missed looking at the percentage of the solution, they had a small boottle and a big bottle and I bought the big one, I'll confirm the percentage when I get in this evening.

Depending on the percentage, what are the different ratios to mix acid to water?

I guess 31% would be 4 to 1

Yes! Please keep us posted. :party:

Is that 20% or 20o Baume (BE)? The latter is 31%.

But the picture looks like something other than calcium which may be why it isn't reacting. Have you tried to hose the stuff out from both ends?

mas985 said:
Is that 20% or 20o Baume (BE)? The latter is 31%.

But the picture looks like something other than calcium which may be why it isn't reacting. Have you tried to hose the stuff out from both ends?

Okay I can confirm it is 20 BE, could that be why my 4 to 1 ratio wasn't enough?

Any ideas what to try next guys? A third soaking with a different ratio?

Ill be proactive here, chaces are high it won't sizzle given I haven't seen any sizzling at all, doest that even make any sense? I haven't wash this thing in 4 seasons, each season being 3-4 months, how could I not see any sizzle?

What if that piece I break off doesn't sizzle, what do I try next?

Why won't this thing sizzle?

Rockstead said:
Why won't this thing sizzle?
The only reason it won't fizz is because it isn't calcium/scale. But if you use full strength it might so just give it a try to make sure. Also, a chunk should break off pretty easy so if it is something else and it doesn't break off, that could be another clue.

Also, did you have any other plumbing issues that were repaired recently?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.