New member with a new Aqua Trol system

kbear

Apr 26, 2013
I have been maintaining my 24ft round above ground pool (approx 14,000 gallons) in the traditional way (regular chlorine applications) the past two years. Hurricane Sandy ended up tearing my liner so I had to get a new one installed. I figured since i have to get a new liner and refill the water, I might as well cross over to "SWG". Apparently, from my own research here and other places, if i had listened to the guy that installed the liner and the aqua trol system, I would be making major errors. Anyhow, contrary to what I have been told, it appears that prior to actually running the aqua trol system, the water must already be balanced (FC, pH, CYA, etc.) I filled the pool with well water. I am assuming that I will have to use regular chlorine (shock?) to get my FC to the appropriate level of about 3 and have my salt completely dissolved before actually turning on the aqua trol. The guy already connected my pump and filter to the aqua trol. Can i still run the pump in order to achieve the appropriate levels without turning on the aqua trol, or must i disconnect the pump and plug it directly into GFCI? Kind of a dumb question, I guess, but surprisingly couldnt find much clarification on this on my own. Thanks so much in advance.

Welcome to TFP!

Yes, you can run your pump without powering the cell. The water will just flow through it like any other pipe. It is a good idea to balance the water first before running the cell. That gives the salt time to dissolve and keeps the pool from going green while waiting.

so do i run the pump without the system merely by turning the pump on and keeping the aqua trol setting on the "off" position? Literally installed last night so i have had no time to really familiarize
myself with it.

Today I added 11 bags of 40 LB salt. Using the pool calculator, I see this should raise my salt levels to 3900 ppm (13,500 gallons). The aqua trol manual states ideal levels between 2700-3400. I added more because I read on this site that I should start my salt level about 400 ppm above manufacturers ideal level. Will 3900 be too much? Anyone with an aqua trol know how high salt levels can be prior to the unit refusing to work (too high salt reading shutting down system)? Thanks in advance.

I don't know how much it takes before it shuts down but I wouldn't exceed 3400 by much.

You would only be at 3900 IF you had started at zero ppm salt (which almost never happens!) and you are absolutely sure your pool is 13,500 gallons. Have you actually had had the salt level tested?

What type and size pool do you have?

24 ft round above ground 4 ft. When I went to purchase CYA, I had them test my water and they told me I had 0 salt.
Guess ill wait and see on saturday when I turn on the system. I have to wait a week for the CYA to fully dissolve, I guess.

I figured I would post this in case anyone in the future has similar questions as mine in regards to chlorinators (particularly aqua trol) and salt levels (A simple search may answer the question instead of starting a new topic):

13,500 gallon pool
0 salt to begin with
dissolved 11 40lb. bags of salt
After several days, salt level is registering at 3900 ppm and the aqua trol system is still running (high salt indicator HAS NOT illuminated)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.