Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What colour steps? White or coloured?

1. Back To Top    #1

What colour steps? White or coloured?

Finalizing our plans and we are going with 8' steps for a vinyl pool. Should we go with white steps or coloured? Maybe the same blue as the liner?
    16'x34' Inground Vinyl Pool. 65,500L. Hayward S244T2 24” Sand Filter. Hayward 1hp Super Pump. Raypak PR266 EN 266,000 btu,. AquaRite SWCG. Aqualamp LED 2 w/ remote

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What colour steps? White or coloured?

My personal preference would be white because it contrasts with the liner and makes them easier to see.

3. Back To Top    #3

Ours are white. The blue looks nice, I just have to wonder if the sun will fade the blue steps over the years.
    16k 17X33 IG Vinyl(2000), Pentair Intellifo Variable Speed Pump(2006), Hayward Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG w/T9 cell(repl 7/2011), Hayward Natl Gas Heater, TF100 w/magnetic stirrer

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks!
    16'x34' Inground Vinyl Pool. 65,500L. Hayward S244T2 24” Sand Filter. Hayward 1hp Super Pump. Raypak PR266 EN 266,000 btu,. AquaRite SWCG. Aqualamp LED 2 w/ remote

5. Back To Top    #5

Plus, the colors never seem to match. White goes with everything.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

6. Back To Top    #6

If we went with a black natural stone coping on say a kidney with hump vinyl pool. White steps..

What liner should we go with?

I assume no mosaic at the top so as to show the stone?
    White steps with white liner is what the builder is suggesting?

Any issue with just a white liner?

7. Back To Top    #7

I think White Liners look great, with a very true blue look to the water. You do have to be careful about scaling or other white deposits that form on your liner, as they will be nearly impossible to see. You will want to stay on top of your water chemistry, but the fact that you are on this site means that is likely anyway
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

8. Back To Top    #8

We are building our first pool and had trouble making this decision. We must have looked at hundreds of pictures with white or colored steps. It’s really personal preference. Do you like the contrast in color? We felt that the white steps jumped out of the picture instead of blending in.

We also have a power cover, so I am not concerned about fading. In fact, I would be more concerned about white stairs not looking white for very long.

In the end, we decided on blue steps and have been extremely happy with their appearance.

DP
    Dave (Michigan)

20x40 IG, Auto Cover, Steel Walls 2R, Vinyl Liner, Hayward Pro Logic SWG, DE Filter, 2hp Pump, Color Logic Light, Diving Board, Typhoon Slide, 4 Jandy Deck Jets, Polaris 280, Hayward Propane Heater & Central Boiler With Heat Exchanger.