Need help, leaky drain valve!

Apr 26, 2013
I am brand new to the forum and really hope I can get some advice. My main drian valve (cheap plastic shutoff type) broke and it is now steady leaking when off and sucking air when the system is on. I need to replace the valve but in order to do this I have to unfortunately cut the pipe. I am afraid of the answer but do I have to drian the pool to make this repair? I know there is some science to the water level of the pool in relation to the valve level so was hoping there was an alternate solution before I drain 25k gallon of water in the backyard.

I appreciate any help anyone can give.

SS

Plug it inside the pool.

Then use the old plumbers trick and pack unsubstantial cheap white bread, like the defunct Wonder Bread, into the pipe to completely stop the drips. Do your plumbing, then pull the plug. The bread will dissolve into goo. You might try sticking a garden hose in the line to blast it through one way or the other so you can catch most of the mush. If not, bleach will break it down in a few days.

Wonder bread huh? Well if it works I am willing I guess is is worth a shot. Seeing how the valvle is below the water level I assume that will keep water flow going?

What is the best valuve to be replacing with? I didnt install the system and unfortunatly will be replacing 6 vavles in total so I want to make sure it is done right.

Ah, so that will be a little trickier to plug inside the pool.

So you have a different pipe coming from the skimmer? Does it have a similar ball valve? If so, you could re-plumb to just use a single 3-way valve.

Add a picture of your pad if you want suggestions.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes.

But not totally necessary if you plug the holes in the pool like Richard described.

While I was at it, personally I would be tempted to replace any similar valves that are likely just as aged. Would hate to have to do the same thing in a few months.

Yes my plan is to replace all three input valves. So the recomendation here is to cut the pipe and stuff wonder bread down it till the water stops running? This bread will ultimately disolve into the filtration system and I will have a fixed valve?

Since I ultimately have 3 valves to replace how long will the wonder bread pipe clot last? I will pre assymble the new pipe and valves and should be able to make the swap in the matter of a couple of minutes. Is this long enough?

littlemountainhouse said:
Yes my plan is to replace all three input valves. So the recomendation here is to cut the pipe and stuff wonder bread down it till the water stops running? This bread will ultimately disolve into the filtration system and I will have a fixed valve?

Since I ultimately have 3 valves to replace how long will the wonder bread pipe clot last? I will pre assymble the new pipe and valves and should be able to make the swap in the matter of a couple of minutes. Is this long enough?
No! Use a rubber plug inside the pool to slow the flow. The bread is just to catch any drips that will mess up the glue. It doesn't have enogh strength to hold back that much water by itself.

Rubber plug? You are assuming that I know more than I do here. I wouldnt know where to put the plug or even how to get the plug in place on the main drain. How would I go abaout doing this when the drain is 6 feet under water.

What happens when the pool water level is below the valve level? IfI lower the pool 3 feet my valve is abouve the water level. Will that stop the water from rushing in?

littlemountainhouse said:
Rubber plug? You are assuming that I know more than I do here. I wouldnt know where to put the plug or even how to get the plug in place on the main drain. How would I go abaout doing this when the drain is 6 feet under water.

What happens when the pool water level is below the valve level? IfI lower the pool 3 feet my valve is abouve the water level. Will that stop the water from rushing in?
The Laws of Physics never change. Water will seek its own level. It has to be below the level of the inlet or water will come down the pipe and it will not glue and then you'll have an even bigger mess.

You might minimize the mud if you have a backwash hose handy. Saw the pipe, then clamp the hose on as fast as you can and let it just flow away.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.