Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need help, leaky drain valve!

1. Back To Top    #1

Need help, leaky drain valve!

I am brand new to the forum and really hope I can get some advice. My main drian valve (cheap plastic shutoff type) broke and it is now steady leaking when off and sucking air when the system is on. I need to replace the valve but in order to do this I have to unfortunately cut the pipe. I am afraid of the answer but do I have to drian the pool to make this repair? I know there is some science to the water level of the pool in relation to the valve level so was hoping there was an alternate solution before I drain 25k gallon of water in the backyard.

I appreciate any help anyone can give.

SS

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need help, leaky drain valve!

Welcome to TFP!!!

Is the valve above the pool water level or below the pool water level?

Please add your pool details and location as described HERE as it will help us help you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

You shouldn't have to drain the pool to change out the valve. Is your equipment pad below the pool?

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes the equipment pad is below the pool water level. Probably 3 foot below.

5. Back To Top    #5

Plug it inside the pool.

Then use the old plumbers trick and pack unsubstantial cheap white bread, like the defunct Wonder Bread, into the pipe to completely stop the drips. Do your plumbing, then pull the plug. The bread will dissolve into goo. You might try sticking a garden hose in the line to blast it through one way or the other so you can catch most of the mush. If not, bleach will break it down in a few days.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

And use a real pool valve this time
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Wonder bread huh? Well if it works I am willing I guess is is worth a shot. Seeing how the valvle is below the water level I assume that will keep water flow going?

What is the best valuve to be replacing with? I didnt install the system and unfortunatly will be replacing 6 vavles in total so I want to make sure it is done right.

8. Back To Top    #8

Jandy Neverlube or equivalent from Hayward or Pentair.

Where is the pipe that goes into this valve coming from? The floor drain? Or the skimmer?
    Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

It is the main floor drain valve.

10. Back To Top    #10

Ah, so that will be a little trickier to plug inside the pool.

So you have a different pipe coming from the skimmer? Does it have a similar ball valve? If so, you could re-plumb to just use a single 3-way valve.

Add a picture of your pad if you want suggestions.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

I have 3 intake valves.

1. maindrain
    2. skimmer
    3. spa

If i lowered the level of the pool below the valve would I be able to make the repair without water flow?

12. Back To Top    #12

Yes.

But not totally necessary if you plug the holes in the pool like Richard described.

While I was at it, personally I would be tempted to replace any similar valves that are likely just as aged. Would hate to have to do the same thing in a few months.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

Yes my plan is to replace all three input valves. So the recomendation here is to cut the pipe and stuff wonder bread down it till the water stops running? This bread will ultimately disolve into the filtration system and I will have a fixed valve?

Since I ultimately have 3 valves to replace how long will the wonder bread pipe clot last? I will pre assymble the new pipe and valves and should be able to make the swap in the matter of a couple of minutes. Is this long enough?

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by littlemountainhouse
    Yes my plan is to replace all three input valves. So the recomendation here is to cut the pipe and stuff wonder bread down it till the water stops running? This bread will ultimately disolve into the filtration system and I will have a fixed valve?

Since I ultimately have 3 valves to replace how long will the wonder bread pipe clot last? I will pre assymble the new pipe and valves and should be able to make the swap in the matter of a couple of minutes. Is this long enough?
    No! Use a rubber plug inside the pool to slow the flow. The bread is just to catch any drips that will mess up the glue. It doesn't have enogh strength to hold back that much water by itself.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

15. Back To Top    #15

Rubber plug? You are assuming that I know more than I do here. I wouldnt know where to put the plug or even how to get the plug in place on the main drain. How would I go abaout doing this when the drain is 6 feet under water.

What happens when the pool water level is below the valve level? IfI lower the pool 3 feet my valve is abouve the water level. Will that stop the water from rushing in?

16. Back To Top    #16

Yes, the water needs to be below the lowest pipe cut, if you are not going to plug everything.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by littlemountainhouse
    Rubber plug? You are assuming that I know more than I do here. I wouldnt know where to put the plug or even how to get the plug in place on the main drain. How would I go abaout doing this when the drain is 6 feet under water.

What happens when the pool water level is below the valve level? IfI lower the pool 3 feet my valve is abouve the water level. Will that stop the water from rushing in?
    The Laws of Physics never change. Water will seek its own level. It has to be below the level of the inlet or water will come down the pipe and it will not glue and then you'll have an even bigger mess.

You might minimize the mud if you have a backwash hose handy. Saw the pipe, then clamp the hose on as fast as you can and let it just flow away.