Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Spa drain plumbing

1. Back To Top    #1

Spa drain plumbing

My spa has two drains: one on the floor and one on the wall. Only the drain on the wall appears to be sucking any water. This is slightly annoying because debris settles at the bottom and stays there. If I sweep debris towards the drain on the wall, most of it gets pulled into the drain, but it can be a little like playing whack-a-mole as I watch it eventually settle at the bottom again.

Is this the correct behavior? Am I right to assume that if I covered the drain on the wall somehow, that the bottom drain should suck water? Or is this a sign that my bottom drain may be clogged?
    Matt
    9k gallon, plaster, IG. Raised spa w/ spillover into pool. AO Smith Century Centurion / Purex Triton WisperFlo 0.5 HP, Hayward 1.5 HP (spa), Polaris 1-516-01 1.5 HP (blower). Hayward DE3620 36 ft2 72 GPM DE Filter, Polaris 145 cleaner. Pool built ~1980.
    Trouble-free, BBB since: April 25, 2013

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Spa drain plumming

I am guessing that the 2 drains should be plumbed together, but maybe the wall has the least resistance so very little come through the floor.

Easy enough to try putting a piece of plastic or something over the wall drain and see if the floor starts sucking.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Spa drain plumbing

I have the same setup. The wall drain is teed into the main pump and pool, and feeds two returns. The floor drain goes to the booster pump and feeds the rest of the returns.

My booster isn't connected to a timer. The only way to turn it on or off is with the circuit breakers. The pump leaks bad and makes noise, so I haven't run it for a year at least. When the main pump is 100% spa, there's plenty of spa action.

The blower that feeds holes in the floor also can add plenty of churning if I want that.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: Spa drain plumming

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle

Easy enough to try putting a piece of plastic or something over the wall drain and see if the floor starts sucking.
    I think I just thought of a good experiment to perform with some of the wife's Tupperware
    Matt
    9k gallon, plaster, IG. Raised spa w/ spillover into pool. AO Smith Century Centurion / Purex Triton WisperFlo 0.5 HP, Hayward 1.5 HP (spa), Polaris 1-516-01 1.5 HP (blower). Hayward DE3620 36 ft2 72 GPM DE Filter, Polaris 145 cleaner. Pool built ~1980.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    I have the same setup. The wall drain is teed into the main pump and pool, and feeds two returns. The floor drain goes to the booster pump and feeds the rest of the returns.
    That makes perfect sense! I rarely use the booster pump. I'll try it out and see if that's the answer!
    Matt

6. Back To Top    #6

Richard, I owe you a beer. I flipped on the spa boost pump, and just a minute later all of the dirt on the bottom of the spa vanished!
    Matt

7. Back To Top    #7

But the booster pump may bypass the filter, so are you sure it did not just get recirculated?

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

But the booster pump may bypass the filter, so are you sure it did not just get recirculated?

Regardless, isn't it still an improvement? Extra circulation is always a good thing, so the drains that lead to the filter have an opportunity to pick up the dirt while it is suspending.
    11,700 gallon 21' round 54" deep all-resin AGP - June 2012
    Waterway 1HP 2-speed pump / 100 sq ft cartridge filter
    Hayward 150,000btu Natural Gas heater
    I use and recommend the TF-100 for testing

9. Back To Top    #9

That's all mine does.

I generally suck from the spa and return to the pool and brush stuff towards the drain. When it gets down to the last few inches, it's really easy to get everything going that way. Then I switch things back and refill. It gets as much dirt out as I get when I try vacuuming the spa. And actually, I vacuum the pool while the spa is refilling, so there are no stray currents in the pool from the returns. It works out well for me.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!