Pump cycling on and off

Apr 26, 2013
Hello..New user here. and a little frustrated...Just getting open for the year and had to get a new Hayward Super Pump and Triton TR60 sand filter.

The pump runs fine on waste, but on all other settings it cycles on and off....It has good suction at the skimmer, and i can feel it coming back into the pool at the pool inlet, but just acts as if it cant get a prime....No leaks anywhere evident...

Any ideas? I guess the only thing that i havent replaced is the multiport...Anything else you can think of? I hate to run the pump like that...Thanks!!

Chris in VB

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

What do you mean cycling on and off? The power is going off or the water movement seems to cycle?

Is there air in the pump basket and that is why you think it can not prime?

Thanks Jason,

I could be using the phrase "cycling on and off" incorrectly....When on "waste," it sounds and runs normally, like a pump should....

When i move it to any other setting....the pump doesnt turn off, and there is no air in the basket, it just sounds like it is trying to prime....
In other words, the power is continuous, but the pump doesnt "run normally".,....Does that make sense?

Thanks so much for the quick reply!

Well, no that really does not make sense. ;)

If there is no air in the pump basket, and water is moving back to the pool, then the pump is primed and working.

What do you have for a filter pressure?

Maybe you could put up a video of what you think seems wrong.

No filter pressure....One more thing i have now noticed....I am losing water....dropped down to bottom of skimmer over night...

So, to me that means that the waste piping is fine, but maybe since i can get a normal pumping on other settings, maybe i have a cracked pipe (we had some good freezes this winter)?

But im not sure that could be either because, the piping is the same until it leaves the pump correct? so it should act the same on waste, rinse, filter etc...?

Thanks guys

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.