Creek Water and Metal

LisaM

May 26, 2011
Happy Pool Season! So I just had the liner in my 20x40 inground pool replaced this week. To save myself $1800 from having the water trucked in I used the creek that runs through my backyard to fill the pool. I would like to treat the water for metal first to avoid any problems since I know my well water has high iron content so I am assuming the creek does to. I looked at Natural Chemistry Metal out but my question is do I put that in first and then run the filter with just that for awhile? If so how long.

Also I have no stabilizer in the pool so should I add that first before I start to shock? Would using powder shock be a better choice because it has stabilizer in it? I have never started from scratch before. All help welcome! Thanks!

First I would go to a pool store and have them test for metal first - before spending money on sequesterants. Metal out doesn't actually take it "out" it just keeps it "in suspension" so it doesn't deposit on your pool surfaces. Some theorize that it is eventually filtered out but I'm skeptical.

Always add all chemicals with the filter running. Pour them slowly in front of the return flow. If granular, predissolving is best.

To "start from scratch" first you need a full set of test results (because you may need to adjust PH/TA first.

Then the order is FC, followed by or along side, CYA. You can use Dichlor (read the label to see if the granular is actually Dichlor) because it has CYA, but it may not have enough to get you where you need to be. Adding CYA/stabilizer independently for a pool your size is usually the most cost efficient, as Dichlor can be pricey.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.