Need help with plumbing vacuum air leak

Apr 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
I just installed a new 2 speed 3/4hp Superflo pump, and my air leak that I had before has grown worse, I think due to this pump working better than the last pump.

Air is leaking in at both high and low speeds. I wrapped a lot of electrical tape around all of the exposed plumbing fittings on the vacuum side hoping it would at least slow the air leak enough for me to find the faulty connection, but the rate the air leaked in never changed.

I also turned off the valve on the return line for the deep end drain (pictured on the right, coming out of the ground), and that did not change the leak rate.

So I think the leak is most likely located underground, somewhere between the skimmer, and the pump.

Is there anything I can do to confirm the leak location without digging? The only good news is I'm already preping for a lawn remodel next month, so I'm not worried about the lawn.

Here are pictures and videos to help show my setup.

20130426_124212.jpg

20130426_124221.jpg

20130426_124251.jpg

20130426_124308.jpg

Video of Strainer Basket at High Speed:
http://youtu.be/M06jiPc0y1M

Video of Strainer Basket at Low Speed:
http://youtu.be/0tHmYa-RzY0

Is the drain plug(s) on the pump basket sealed well?

Did you lubricate the o-ring on the basket lid well?

Next you can use a wet rag and wrap that around the different joints of the suction side of the pump's plumbing to see if the air lessens. I would do this on high.

Did you lube the o-ring on the pump basket?
The water looks a little low in skimmer maybe. No vortex in there?

The ball valve that you closed is a union-type that can be unscrewed from the pipe. Might be good to check that the o-rings in there are not cracked and letting in air.

Before digging, I would even suggest replacing the plumbing going into the pump and using either a real pool 3-way valve or 2 pool 2-ways on the floor and skimmer so that you can be sure to isolate each one.

linen said:
Is the drain plug(s) on the pump basket sealed well?

Did you lubricate the o-ring on the basket lid well?

Next you can use a wet rag and wrap that around the different joints of the suction side of the pump's plumbing to see if the air lessens. I would do this on high.

Every O-ring was lubricated at installation (Yesterday), drain plugs are tight, and I can see the air coming into the strainer basket from the plumbing, also when I turn the pump off, the plumbing continues to burp into the strainer basket.

jblizzle said:
Did you lube the o-ring on the pump basket?
The water looks a little low in skimmer maybe. No vortex in there?

No Vortex, this was considered.

jblizzle said:
The ball valve that you closed is a union-type that can be unscrewed from the pipe. Might be good to check that the o-rings in there are not cracked and letting in air.

This is something to look into, I did hand tighten the union, but I did not inspect the O-ring. Good Idea

jblizzle said:
Before digging, I would even suggest replacing the plumbing going into the pump and using either a real pool 3-way valve or 2 pool 2-ways on the floor and skimmer so that you can be sure to isolate each one.

Thanks, also a good idea

So I think the leak is most likely located underground, somewhere between the skimmer, and the pump
Don't be in a big hurry to dig. We have daily instances of suction side air leaks reported on the forum. They are in the underground piping I would say less than 1% of the time. Have you checked the drain plugs on the pump basket? The 0-ring on the pump basket is the most common place but I would check and recheck every single above ground connection before I pulled out the first shovel.

The fitting between the pump and the T that joins the main drain and the skimmers is funky looking. What kind of fitting is that?

duraleigh said:
So I think the leak is most likely located underground, somewhere between the skimmer, and the pump
Don't be in a big hurry to dig. We have daily instances of suction side air leaks reported on the forum. They are in the underground piping I would say less than 1% of the time. Have you checked the drain plugs on the pump basket? The 0-ring on the pump basket is the most common place but I would check and recheck every single above ground connection before I pulled out the first shovel.

That is good to know. Thanks

duraleigh said:
The fitting between the pump and the T that joins the main drain and the skimmers is funky looking. What kind of fitting is that?

The union or the 90* fitting?

think he meant the 90 degree street elbow.
Yeah, the street elbow (if that's what it is....I just can't tell)

It's pretty irrelevant but anytime something unusual ( a street elbow is not) is in the system, that's a good place to inspect carefully.

Does your pump (off) hold prime overnight?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A garden hose is your best friend for finding air leaks. Take the hose without any nozzle on it, get a good stream coming out but NOT FULL FORCE. Run the stream of water on everything on the suction side and kinda cup underneath the pipes with your other hand. Run it on the pump lid as that may have hairline crack in it, suction port fitting, all valves and drain plugs. Usually you will find the culprit doing this.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.