Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How much is too much pressure fluctuation?

1. Back To Top    #1

How much is too much pressure fluctuation?

I just recently purchased a house with an inground 20x40 IG pool. Three days after moving in the motor on the pump blew. I sat on this for a while and replaced the pump and motor this past week. When the pump is off the pressure reads at 16psi, when I turn it on it shoots up to 32 psi, 30 psi when the polaris is on. I backwashed the filter already but that didn't do anything to relieve the pressure. What should I do because I am almost certain that a fluctuation of 16 psi is too much?
    John
    Sylvester, GA
    33K, IG, Sand, Hayward Pro Series Model #S244T, 1.5hp single speed, unknown install date, polaris

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How much is too much pressure fluctuation?

Welcome to TFP!!!

If the pressure does not read 0 when the pump is off ... the gauge is bad and you need to replace it before you will actually know anything.

There really is no "normal" pressure when the pump is running, it depends on the pump size and all the plumbing. That said, 20psi would be fine and some systems run up closer to 30psi.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: How much is too much pressure fluctuation?

Thanks jbizzle! I will get a new gauge and see what I get.
    John
    Sylvester, GA
    33K, IG, Sand, Hayward Pro Series Model #S244T, 1.5hp single speed, unknown install date, polaris