Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: surface mount sub-panel on stucco exterior rear knockout

1. Back To Top    #1

surface mount sub-panel on stucco exterior rear knockout

I want to feed my subpanel, by running #6 or #8 NM from the main, through the wall a few feet, to the back knockout of a surface mount exterior subpanel mounted on a
    wall. If I can't put the clamp screws inside the box, what type of strain relief do you use?
    15,000 gallon gunite pool, grey plaster with 8' raised spa
    Jandy PlusHP Pump 2 HP Dual Speed
    Sta-Rite 450 Sq. ft. Cartridge Filter
    Cleva-Chlor RP40HD
    Raypak 400k btu heater
    Jandy Aqualink RS-8 One Touch
    Savi Melody 12v LED lights

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: surface mount sub-panel on stucco exterior rear knockout

Is the reason you can't use the romex connector because it's mounted to the wall?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

The box is not yet mounted. I'm going to attempt to snake the wire through the wall so I will not have access inside the wall. I would use one of these: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Halex-1-in-N ... /202241099
    but I read that the clamp side has to be outside the box? If I put the clamp outside the box, I wont have access to tighten it.
    Cleva-Chlor RP40HD
    Raypak 400k btu heater

4. Back To Top    #4

Can these be engaged inside the sub-panel? http://www.homedepot.com/p/Halex-3-4-in ... /202077089
    Or do they have to lock the cable in place from outside the box too?
    Cleva-Chlor RP40HD
    Raypak 400k btu heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Just use a chase nipple.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Can't you clamp to the cable (two clamping screws) before you mount the box to the wall. Then. with the nut off, mount the box, feeding the cable through the back knockout and then secure it to the box with the nut. Just requires a little chipping out of the wall to allow the clamp to live back there.
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    Just use a chase nipple.
    Wouldnt I need to secure the wire somehow? Seems like a chase nipple would leave the wire loose in the hole.
    Cleva-Chlor RP40HD
    Raypak 400k btu heater

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by gtemkin
    Can't you clamp to the cable (two clamping screws) before you mount the box to the wall. Then. with the nut off, mount the box, feeding the cable through the back knockout and then secure it to the box with the nut. Just requires a little chipping out of the wall to allow the clamp to live back there.
    I'd still have a similar issue on the main panel side since I dont have access to the back of it either. I thought there had to be something for clamping on the inside of the panel but maybe there just isn't.
    Cleva-Chlor RP40HD
    Raypak 400k btu heater

9. Back To Top    #9

Pool Size: 20 x 40 Free Form Inground Plaster Pool w/ a shallow cove.
    Gallons : ~23K Jandy CL580 Cartridge Filter, Jandy e-pump 1.5HP
    Polaris 280 w/ Booster Pump, AqualinkRS PDA4 Remote, Aqua-Pure SWG
    Jandy LED Pool Lights (2), Heliocol 500 Sq. Ft solar rack system

10. Back To Top    #10

Why do you need strain relief? I would think that all you need is something smooth that won't cut the cable, like a chase nipple.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    Why do you need strain relief? I would think that all you need is something smooth that won't cut the cable, like a chase nipple.
    I thought code required the wire to be secured so that if it got pulled on somewhere, it couldnt pull out of the breaker or pull the breaker out?
    Cleva-Chlor RP40HD
    Raypak 400k btu heater

12. Back To Top    #12

I can definitively say that the wires coming into the back off my panel are not clamped at all ... whether that is normal or not?

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by n8huntsman
    Quote Originally Posted by gtemkin
    I'd still have a similar issue on the main panel side since I dont have access to the back of it either. I thought there had to be something for clamping on the inside of the panel but maybe there just isn't.
    If the wall is hollow and before mounting the sub-panel, feed a long length of cable through the wall, clamp a strain relief meant for the main box to the cable, pull it back towards the main box and nut it to the main box. Then do as I suggested above and you will have strain relieved both ends of the cable to their respective panels and have the strain reliefs on the outside of each panel.

If there's no "chipped away" space behind the main panel you may have to get creative with a bent screwdriver to clear away a little wall material if it's drywall. If it's plywood, then it would be a tougher job.
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

14. Back To Top    #14

If its a back to back panel/sub installation I would chase nipple it as well, if the distance is to far for a standard chase then prep the holes, measure and get the right length threaded pipe with 4 locknuts and make your own size nipple and if that's the case use a couple plastic bushings on each side...

24,000 Gallon Vinyl Grecian IG,Triton2 Sand Filter / Pentair Super Flo 1 HP Dual Speed Pump ,
    Stenner Peristaltic Pump Injection w/15 gal drum,Stubbed up supply/return for future solar panels :)
    TF100 Rocks !! Pool School....