Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: No valve to release pump pressure & clean basket

1. Back To Top    #1

No valve to release pump pressure & clean basket

We had an above ground pool installed just over a week ago. Still trying to figure out everything. Today I noticed the pump basket needed to be cleaned out. But there is no way to release the water pressure going in to the pump. There is no valve between the skimmer and the pump. I opened the lid of the pump pot anyway (dumb). Of course water spewed out so I immediately attempted to screw it back on. But, because the pump is not fastened to anything (It's just sitting loose on a concrete block) I can't get it back on securely - so water continues to spray out of the pump.

A. Shouldn't the installer have installed some type of valve so that the pressure to the pump can be shut off?
    B. Is there any way I can install a valve at this point with the pool full of water?
    C. What's the best way to secure the pump to something solid?
    D. Besides brute strength, is there any trick to getting the lid back on tight when there's no way to release pressure?
    Sharkline Matrix 28', Pentair SD80 sand filter, Pentair Optiflo 1hp/2spd pump, Intellichlor ic40 (installed 7/2013)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: No valve to release pump pressure & clean basket

A valve is nice, but you can also plug the opening in the bottom of the skimmer. An expanding test plug works well. Even a rubber ball will shut most of the water off.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, JohnT. Hadn't considered stopping it up in the bottom of the skimmer.
    In regards to the expanding test plug, are you talking about something like this?: http://www.newmantools.com/petp/143_2.htm

Husband came home from work and put some muscle into closing the top of the pump pot, so that is fixed. The learning process continues.
    Sharkline Matrix 28', Pentair SD80 sand filter, Pentair Optiflo 1hp/2spd pump, Intellichlor ic40 (installed 7/2013)

4. Back To Top    #4

You'll find them more like this at hardware stores

TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

A tennis ball also works fairly well.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

I was thinking a racket ball, there're rubber. Might seal alittle better for you. If it seals pretty good get a valve on there. You should also get one on the return side. You can use one of the plugs pictured in the return, just take the return jet out and use the plug in its place. Then you can put a valve on the return side also.

Just my 0.02

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

7. Back To Top    #7

The ball prop won't work. It'll float. Just plug it too

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.