Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Saltwater pool murky - how to do a no drain acid wash

1. Back To Top    #1

Saltwater pool murky - how to do a no drain acid wash

Help we bought house last spring past owners opened pool but didn't leave instruction and I can't get them to email me back. They use to do a 'no drain acid wash'. Pool is 30,000 gallons salt water, no winter cover, have vacuumed, shocked and not murky darkish blue color but sides of walls have white scaling on them. I have tried everything. Please someone tell me all the steps to do the 'no drain acid wash' ALL THE STEPS so i can get this pool fixed. Desperate for help.. The pool is the smooth finish like those of the viking pools.
    mwitt21w
    20000 gallon fiberglass, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 420, Pentair Whisperflow WF-23, Pentair Intellichlor Generator

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Saltwater pool murky - how to do a no drain acid wash

Welcome to the forum.
    and not murky darkish blue color
    Is your water clear? Can you post test results to give us the chemical condition of your water? Those things need to be done before you attempt an acid wash.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP.

Acid washing is hard on the pool surface. Before you even consider an acid wash, you need to understand the water chemistry you are dealing with. It's much easier to prevent than to acid wash at all. It sounds like you have a fiberglass pool, so any calcium you have in the water is either naturally occuring or it has been added to the pool. For certain, stop using any form of calcium hypochlorite shock or chlorination granules.

It's important to know the calcium hardness of your fill water and the calcium hardness of your pool water, along with the pH of the water. You need an accurate and complete set of test results to choose your course. It may be possible to simply maintain a low pH level and avoid the problem in the future.

It would be helpful if we knew the region where you live. In some parts of the country, there are resources for dealing with high calcium levels that aren't available in other areas.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to tfp, mwitt21w

No to beat a dead horse, but the water clarity issue needs to be dealt with first before even considering an acid wash. You might even find that the acid wash is not needed. We need to see some chemistry test values to begin to help. Please see: http://www.troublefreepool.com/what-...ns-t10341.html
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

okay I tested and here are results and picture of water

Can't totally see to bottom, a cloudy blueish color.

FC: 1-2
    PH:7.5
    TA:180
    CH:200
    CYA: out of testing chemical
    Stabilizer: low
    Attached Images Attached Images
    mwitt21w
    20000 gallon fiberglass, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 420, Pentair Whisperflow WF-23, Pentair Intellichlor Generator

6. Back To Top    #6

Missouri- Middle of the state. Last year when we bought pool it was clear all summer no problems with anything. It is a salt water pool and we cleaned the filters several times by rinsing with garden hose.
    mwitt21w

7. Back To Top    #7

What kit are you using? You need to get some more reagents, ASAP as you will not know what to do until you can test the CYA.

You clearly need to read these and follow the process:
    Defeating Algae
    Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis
    Shocking Your Pool

Also, Please add your pool details and location as described HERE as it will help us help you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

CYA: 10

I read those handouts that is why I am here now, since I can't get it to work it's self out..

30000 gallon fiberglass, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 420, Pentair Whisperflow WF-23, Pentair Intellichlor Generator
    mwitt21w

9. Back To Top    #9

Put the information in your signature like that link describes so we do not have to search for this 1 post with your details in it, thanks.

Well, if you have read those, why are you not following the shock process to clear up the water?

Did you buy more CYA reagent? Do you have one of the recommended test kits that includes the FAS-DPD chlorine test?

You need to raise the CYA to 30ppm and then maintain a FC level 12 ppm until you pass the 3 criteria to stop.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

10. Back To Top    #10

Test kit is HTH, it tests hardness, ph, alkalinity, etc. Then I have aquachems test strips as back up comparison.
    mwitt21w

11. Back To Top    #11

Well, you need to invest in a better kit as at this point you can not test the FC and CC accurately.

And the test strips tend to not be worth anything as they are too unreliable and subjective.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

I have shocked twice already (did that first) then added algaecide which helped tremendously since water was gross from winter, vacuumed and dipped out leaves and stuff. Then add some MA to reduce the PH and add a 3 part 1 step salt water opening/maintenance stuff (lowers metals, etc). We have been trying to contact first owners to get more information on pool, I calculated pool gallons and depending on the one we use I show less gallons than original owners told us.
    mwitt21w

13. Back To Top    #13

Please read the tfp shocking process, it is not a one time application of chlorine but holding chlorine at a higher level until you have verified you have killed the algae. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...king_your_pool
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

14. Back To Top    #14

Okay, so I have done everything to the T, even in the cold misty rain all weekend. PH is down, alkalinity is down, FC and Chlorine registers good have shocked and shocked cleaned filters and still Cloudy water..I just don't get it.
    mwitt21w

15. Back To Top    #15

Be more specific. What FC level are you maintaining? Did you raise your CYA to 20-30ppm to protect the FC from the sun?

Ignore pH and TA until the shock process is complete.

We want numbers not "registered good".
    Jason, TFP Moderator

16. Back To Top    #16

If the water is still cloudy, you are not done shocking. I believe I have the link in my signature. As Jason said, you will need to post specific numbers for us to help.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.