Low Pressure in Return Line/Polaris not moving?

Apr 26, 2013
Hi guys, I'm a new pool owner and have already gotten tons of great info on from these boards. So thanks!

I moved into my house a little over a month ago, and within the first few days I got the pool and spa re-plastered. It's been a month and I'm ready to start using the Polaris on it. However, when I attempted to hook it up, it didn't go anywhere which I think is because there's barely any water coming out of the return line. I went and purchased the Universal Fitting and installed that so I could attach the Polaris, but still there's hardly any water pressure from the return jet. What's strange is that when I turn on my booster pump, the jet right next to my return line shoots out water with a ton of force as expected. I've tried back washing and and adding DE, but the issue remains. Pressure on the pump is good and all other jets seem to work just fine. I tried playing around with the return settings on the pump (pool vs spa), but that didn't seem to make any difference either.

I'm pretty clueless and still learning, so thank you for any tips!

Welcome to the forum. :lol: Since the booster pump (you do have a pressure side Polaris, right?? ....not suction side) produces great water pressure coming out of a different return, can you hook it up to that return? If you have great pressure that you are not hooked up to, it would seem logical you are not hooked up to the correct pipe or you have a valve turned incorrectly.

duraleigh said:
Welcome to the forum. :lol: Since the booster pump (you do have a pressure side Polaris, right?? ....not suction side) produces great water pressure coming out of a different return, can you hook it up to that return? If you have great pressure that you are not hooked up to, it would seem logical you are not hooked up to the correct pipe or you have a valve turned incorrectly.

Hmm, that's a good question :) . I assumed it was a pressure system since there is a booster pump, but as I said, I'm totally clueless. It's an old Polaris that the previous owner left here. I'm pretty certain it works though, because it was in the pool.

I'm not sure how I would go about changing the pipe. There's a jet attachment on the one that is spraying water out with good pressure...the same jets that are all around the pool. Where I have the Polaris hooked up it's just a flush opening on the pool wall, which I connected the Universal fitting to. I assumed that's where it's supposed to go :) .

Here is a pic of my Polaris. Thanks for any help!

qBsqdDW.jpg

Check the filter basket in the fitting that connects to the wall on your Polaris hose. Also might connect the Polaris to the wall and hold it at the water level and check that the wheels are turning and that water is comming out the back and up thru the middle. Watch the gear/spline on the side with 2 wheels inside the lip of the front wheel and see if it is turning. Check all wheels to see if they wobble....barrings might be bad and not makeing contact to the gear/spline.

Not sure how I would hook it up somewhere else, unless it's that simple to just remove the jet attachment from the one next to it? I was under the impression that the "return line" is special in comparison to the other jets in the pool. I have a home warranty which includes the pool, and I have someone coming out on Monday because I've noticed a very small amount of water leaking around some of the pump fittings. I'm going to ask him about the Polaris as well and hopefully he can help.

I don't think the problem is actually the Polaris, I think it's that there just isn't much water pressure coming out of the return line. Water will shoot out in bursts every few seconds, but it's not a constant heavy stream like I assume would be needed to power the vacuum.

First of all, If that 280 is in the pool before you, so I think it should be working without adding universal fitting you have been added.

I pretty sure the powerful return with the jet head is removable and then you can attached your Polaris to that port.

Here is the Polaris connection.
null_zps6a48a977.jpg

And this is what I think your jet should be.
null_zps879a189b.jpg

So, you should remove the jet head off that port the same way you remove your Polaris off the universal fitting you just added. Then you can attached the Polaris to the port.

ting said:
First of all, If that 280 is in the pool before you, so I think it should be working without adding universal fitting you have been added.

I pretty sure the powerful return with the jet head is removable and then you can attached your Polaris to that port.

Here is the Polaris connection.

So, you should remove the jet head off that port the same way you remove your Polaris off the universal fitting you just added. Then you can attached the Polaris to the port.
Hi ting,

One thing i forgot to mention is that just a few days after moving in I got the pool replastered. That's why I went back and added the Universal Fitting, because I think the guys doing the plaster removed it and never replaced it. What led me to that is that I attempted to hook up the Polaris without the fitting, and it did not seem to fit. I can attempt to remove the jet attachment and hook the Polaris up there. I'll probably just wait until the repair guy is here tomorrow before I go messing it anymore. Thanks all for the suggestions!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.