Problem with dead algae need some opinions

Apr 25, 2013
I will just start by saying a few weeks ago I read through this forum to figure out how to clean up my pool. Thank you all for taking the time to help out others you saved me a lot of time and money. I installed a 20 x 40 last July. It was a mess when I started. I didn't winterize or cover the pool. I know I should have but I lost my job the day they poured the concrete around my new pool so long story short I couldn't afford it. After reading this forum I killed all the algae and the pool was basically a grey cloud. I ran the pool 24/7 for 8 days after about 4 days I added super blue because I still could not see the shallow end bottom. After 8 days I will say you could see 4 ft. I was vaccuuming once and brushing twice a day it was just taking forever to clear up. Yesterday I started adding DE to the filter. Before I only had to backwash after I ran the vac. Yesterday I literally back washed every 15 min. I would add the DE as the site recommends. Once it hit the 1 pound mark, I literally stood there and watched the gauge go up. I can't remember how many times I back washed probably 8 or 9. I had to add water to the pool. Today the pool is clear and all the chemicals are on target. I had them checked at the pool store. I guess Im disappointed in my sand filter. After 8 days I didn't expect to be able to clear up my water in 6 hours by adding a little DE to the filter. Is something wrong with my sand filter or do they normally take this long? The whole system is basically brand new. BTW when I finally gave up and took my water in, I asked for DE. The owner asked how I knew to do that. He said that's old school stuff people just don't walk in and ask for. Especially a guy who hasn't owned a pool for a year. I told him I learned it here. Haha

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!! :wave:

Congratulations on tackling your pool!!

Sand does seem to be slower, but the maintenance is certainly easier. Interesting to hear how effective the DE was for you.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Welcome to tfp, Dunn123 :wave:

As you found, cleaning up an algae outbreak is not fun. The real key to the methods taught on this site is too not have algae in the first place. There is an upside to clearing a pool with sand filters...you can leave them running during the work day where many people can not leave their cartridges and DE filters running during the day since they will plug up too fast. Then when you are home at night you can use the DE to speed things up since you can backwash as needed.

Now that you have is cleared, if you keep it that way with this sites methods, then I think you will find you sand filter performs great.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.