Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Please Help

1. Back To Top    #1

Please Help

Hi my husband and i bought a house last year at the end of the summer and it had a pool yay or so i thought. When we purchased it the pool had set stagnant for i dont know how long and we had it cleaned up and seemed to be in good shape until i have within the last few months realized we have mustard algae. We have vacuumed, scrubbed walls, soaked equipment multiple multiple times. I keep going to my local pool store to get my water tested and am dumping hundreds of dollars worth of granulated chlorine. The pool is a SWG with 1 hp pump, 15000 gallons. The pool is sparkling beautifully crystal clear but the algae sits in dispersed spots all over the floor of the pool and on steps and bathing seats. I've been reading a few things from other posts about dumping in liquid chlorine or bleach, is that safe? Seems like it could definitely be cheaper than all this granulated i've been being told to dump in by my local pool store. Any tips would be appreciated.
    Northern Louisiana, 15,000 gallons SWG 300lbs, sta rite pump 1 HP, Fiberglass IG pool, about 6 years old, no information left from previous owners

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Please Help

One of the first things recommended here is read pool school. It is the button in the up right hand corner. Second thing is buy a great test kit. The TF-100 will help you learn about you pool chemistry. Taking care of your pool yourself can be challenging but it is worth it. I would stop with the expensive chemicals and use what is recommended in pool school.

Here is a great example of a thread that took a pool from green to sparkling clean using the BBB method.

viewtopic.php?t=57137

Pool Size: 20 x 40 Free Form Inground Plaster Pool w/ a shallow cove.
    Gallons : ~23K Jandy CL580 Cartridge Filter, Jandy e-pump 1.5HP
    Polaris 280 w/ Booster Pump, AqualinkRS PDA4 Remote, Aqua-Pure SWG
    Jandy LED Pool Lights (2), Heliocol 500 Sq. Ft solar rack system

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

Are you seeing what you're describing as algae on the walls of the pool too or is it just on the flat horizontal surfaces? Typically, if it is algae, it isn't just on the floor and steps. It's on vertical surfaces too until it is brushed away. Pollen however, sits on floors and steps.

We need to see some test results for your pool water. Please let us know the results for FC, CC, CYA, TA, and pH. If you don't have your own drop based test kit, you need to get one. We always recommend the TF-100 kit from tftestkits.net. Without a good kit, you're going to be in the dark.

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok well i don't have my own test kit but thinking of ordering one soon because i would like to learn to manage my own pool. I am new to all of this and am trying to learn as much as i can. I'm almost positive it's mustard algae and not pollen because we've had a bad pollen season (northern louisiana) and it's come and gone and when it was in my pool it mostly stayed at the top and lined along my water line. What leads me to believe it's mustard algae is i cannot maintain a FC level after dumping in 5lbs of granulated chlorine for three days in a row. The pool store keeps telling me that the water is going light and dark like it's trying to read a 1 for FC or close to but i have not been able to maintain anything over that. We have also tried yellow out and that didn't work and it was probably close to two weeks ago and i've been dumping in chlorine almost every day since then and running my pool 24/7. I dropped out last weekend and vacuumed and there is less in there than before but it had already signs of being back in less than 24 hrs. Today the pool store told me that my readings were CYA: 70, TA: 50 PH: 7.6, CH: 250, FC: 1, CC: 0.
    Northern Louisiana, 15,000 gallons SWG 300lbs, sta rite pump 1 HP, Fiberglass IG pool, about 6 years old, no information left from previous owners

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome!

You are gonna be so happy in a few weeks after you learn what's going on in your pool! Print out pool school are read it a couple times. Once you tackle this mustard (if that is what it is) having the SWG is going to make following BBB real easy as that is your source of chlorine, not manual dumping of bleach daily.
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome to TFP!!!

Please stop listening to the the pool store and read Pool School a few times to start to understand the chemistry. All the granulated chlorine could be making your problems worse if it was dichlor by raising your CYA too high. If the pool store testing was to be believed (which it should not be), your CYA is already too high and likely contributing your your problems.

What kind of chlorine do you typically use?

Step 1: Order one of the recommended test kits
    Step 2: Read Pool School ... a few times
    Step 3: Post a full set of test results when your kit arrives

Also, Please add your pool details and location as described HERE as it will help us help you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Here are some photos of what i believe is algae
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (308.6 KB, 111 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (321.9 KB, 111 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (332.5 KB, 111 views)

8. Back To Top    #8

OK i will order the kit and give more information when it arrives, it is dichlor chlorine i'm adding. what should my cya level be? i thought that was in range

9. Back To Top    #9

CYA should be 30-50ppm: pool-school/recommended_levels

Does the stuff in the pool feel slimy? Look green?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

10. Back To Top    #10

If you knew the amount of granuals you've added this season, we could calculate how much you've added, but we've no way of knowing what level it was at when you opened. My CYA mysteriously goes away over winter, at least 30 PPM did.

The issue is nobody trusts the pool store testing, so we think the result is probably low.....and your CYA is much higher.
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    SWCG and D.E. Filter

11. Back To Top    #11

just ordered the TF-100 and some salt strips to go with it. will test as soon as it arrives

12. Back To Top    #12

No green no slime, nothing on walls, just dissipates in the water when it's touched, turns into a cloud when there are heavy amounts

13. Back To Top    #13

pool school recommended levels says CYA 70 to 80 for SWG, it's a SWG

14. Back To Top    #14

So you can vacuum it up and then it comes back?
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    SWCG and D.E. Filter

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by mhein006
    pool school recommended levels says CYA 70 to 80 for SWG, it's a SWG
    Yup, you are right, I missed that when I first read through.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

16. Back To Top    #16

Vacuumed probably 7 times since I've had it and comes back every time

17. Back To Top    #17

It could be dead algae that is collecting, you may just have a low level algae growth in the water that you are never completely killing off.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

18. Back To Top    #18

Sand filter? I wonder if it could be channeled allowing fine dirt to stay in circulation and then settle out. Have you been vacuuming to your filter or to waste?
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    SWCG and D.E. Filter

19. Back To Top    #19

Yes vacuuming to waste. Sand was replaced when we bought the home around September of last year

20. Back To Top    #20

Ok got my test kit in but i'm a little confused, for the chlorine drop test it says to add one "heaping" scoop of the r-870 powder, what is a "heaping" scoop?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast