Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Keep heater & pump going tonite or just start up again in AM

1. Back To Top    #1

Gloucester County, NJ

Keep heater & pump going tonite or just start up again in AM

So, we had the first of our 2 parties this weekend. I started heating the pool this morning at 6:30 am. It was a brisk 62 degrees due all the rain we have had and the cool nights (low 50's). So, the pool water is now 78. We have another party tomorrow. The temp is supposed to go down to about 51 tonight. We do not have a solar cover or solar heat (solar heat may happen next year). So, I've burned through quite a bit of natural gas today. Would I be better off (as far as gas usage goes) keeping the pump and heater running 24/7 until our party is over tomorrow night or just letting it shut off tonight and start heating up again tomorrow morning?

Attached Images Attached Images
    28,000 gallon gunite/white plaster with 30ft RBB and 2ft sheer descent, 100 sq ft thermaledge, 50sq ft spa w/ 6 jets
    2HP Jandy pump, 60sq ft Jandy DE filter, 400,000 BTU Jandy LX Nat Gas Heater, 2 Jandy color lights + Jandy color spa light, Jandy Aqualink RS6, Jandy AquaPure 1400

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD
    You will save money by turning off the heat overnight. The water will be noticeably colder in the morning than it is now, but even including the cost of heating it back up you will still save a little money. The warmer the water the more heat is lost. By letting it cool off a bit at night you lose less total heat.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School