Test results - leave alone or work for a change?

May 24, 2012
Auburn, AL
Hey Folks,

I finished a tap refill after a new liner install last week. I am working on getting the CYA higher, but the TA has me a bit concerned, but I'm not sure if it should. Can anyone comment if I should just let it be or work for a lower pH and aerate?

Here are my numbers:

(NOTE: I have a SWG and a vinyl liner - no grout, etc.)

Water Temp: 72 F
TDS: 2990
Salt: 3800 ppm
FC: 5.46
TC: 5.56
pH: 7.3
TA: 115
CH: 25
CYA: 29

I tested at 10:00 pm with the SWG having run at full load since noon today. So, about a 5 hour run since direct sunlight stopped.

Any comments on what (if anything) I should do would be appreciated. My concern on the TA is only related to last season's numbers of being in the mid 80's.

Thanks!
Phil

First, I recommend getting your own appropriate test kit, you should be careful putting too much faith in those pool store test results...especially cya.

Ignore the TDS result.

Other than the cya, your results (which again I don't trust) look good, TA is a little high, but will come down as you add acid in the future.

Well, before I started reading TFP, I bought a LaMotte ColorQ Pro 7.

If I had started reading TFP first, I would have gotten the test kit recommended here.

Anyway, these numbers are from my ColorQ test kit. I've never had a pool store test my water.

Given that these are numbers that I've tested myself (with the same test kit I used last season), does that change anything?

Thanks!

Aside from getting the CYA up to around 60 since your are running a SWCG, I'd leave things be. As was mentioned earlier, the TA will come down eventually as you add acid. TA is one of those values that we don't really worry too much about in most pools as it kinda finds its happy place on its own. TA is really only a problem if it is really high or totally absent, and those are rare occurrences when everything else is in line.

linen said:
First, I recommend getting your own appropriate test kit, you should be careful putting too much faith in those pool store test results...especially cya.

Ignore the TDS result.

Other than the cya, your results (which again I don't trust) look good, TA is a little high, but will come down as you add acid in the future.

Just wondering, what made my numbers "look like pool store numbers"? I don't think I claimed they were anything other than my own numbers.

Thanks!
Phil

We test in different increments
FC and CC nearest 0.5ppm
CH and TA and CYA nearest 10ppm

Your numbers just look too exact, like a computer spit them out ... which it did.

In reality there is no way or need to be that precise.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

If it's a fresh refill, how did the CYA get in the water? What did you add and how much? If my calculations are correct you would have needed to add nearly 8 lbs of CYA to get it to 30. After adding the CYA it can take a while (week) for it to show up completely.

McFlubbin said:
Just wondering, what made my numbers "look like pool store numbers"? I don't think I claimed they were anything other than my own numbers.
Like was said, your numbers have precision, but we know there are no common testing systems out there that have that accuracy. In addition, I was not aware the Colorq did TDS...that is what really drove my assumption.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
linen said:
McFlubbin said:
Like was said, your numbers have precision, but we know there are no common testing systems out there that have that accuracy. In addition, I was not aware the Colorq did TDS...that is what really drove my assumption.

Yeah, I didn't bother to round off the 0.0x decimal. Just lazily posting what the meter said.

The ColorQ does not have TDS or salt. I have separate tests for those. I am aware, of course, that the TDS value in a SWG environment is always very high.

Bluechip said:
If it's a fresh refill, how did the CYA get in the water? What did you add and how much? If my calculations are correct you would have needed to add nearly 8 lbs of CYA to get it to 30. After adding the CYA it can take a while (week) for it to show up completely.

I put CYA in there.

It was in the 10 lb range over the course of a few days. I'm sure the lag is still affecting the reading.

My original post was concerning TA. I just put up all the numbers I had to get ahead of anyone asking for more data.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.