Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Test results - leave alone or work for a change?

1. Back To Top    #1

Test results - leave alone or work for a change?

Hey Folks,

I finished a tap refill after a new liner install last week. I am working on getting the CYA higher, but the TA has me a bit concerned, but I'm not sure if it should. Can anyone comment if I should just let it be or work for a lower pH and aerate?

Here are my numbers:

(NOTE: I have a SWG and a vinyl liner - no grout, etc.)

Water Temp: 72 F
    TDS: 2990
    Salt: 3800 ppm
    FC: 5.46
    TC: 5.56
    pH: 7.3
    TA: 115
    CH: 25
    CYA: 29

I tested at 10:00 pm with the SWG having run at full load since noon today. So, about a 5 hour run since direct sunlight stopped.

Any comments on what (if anything) I should do would be appreciated. My concern on the TA is only related to last season's numbers of being in the mid 80's.

Thanks!
    Phil
    18'x36' 30,000 gal IGP, Sand Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Main and Booster pumps with Polaris 360.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Test results - leave alone or work for a change?

First, I recommend getting your own appropriate test kit, you should be careful putting too much faith in those pool store test results...especially cya.

Ignore the TDS result.

Other than the cya, your results (which again I don't trust) look good, TA is a little high, but will come down as you add acid in the future.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Those look like pool store numbers. I wouldn't trust them.

As long as you keep pH under control, TA will come down of its own accord.

With a SWG, CYA should be higher. But again...I wouldn't trust those numbers.

Have you studied [u]Pool School?[/ul]
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Well, before I started reading TFP, I bought a LaMotte ColorQ Pro 7.

If I had started reading TFP first, I would have gotten the test kit recommended here.

Anyway, these numbers are from my ColorQ test kit. I've never had a pool store test my water.

Given that these are numbers that I've tested myself (with the same test kit I used last season), does that change anything?

Thanks!
    18'x36' 30,000 gal IGP, Sand Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Main and Booster pumps with Polaris 360.

5. Back To Top    #5

Aside from getting the CYA up to around 60 since your are running a SWCG, I'd leave things be. As was mentioned earlier, the TA will come down eventually as you add acid. TA is one of those values that we don't really worry too much about in most pools as it kinda finds its happy place on its own. TA is really only a problem if it is really high or totally absent, and those are rare occurrences when everything else is in line.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by linen
    First, I recommend getting your own appropriate test kit, you should be careful putting too much faith in those pool store test results...especially cya.

Ignore the TDS result.

Other than the cya, your results (which again I don't trust) look good, TA is a little high, but will come down as you add acid in the future.
    Just wondering, what made my numbers "look like pool store numbers"? I don't think I claimed they were anything other than my own numbers.

Thanks!
    Phil

7. Back To Top    #7

We test in different increments
    FC and CC nearest 0.5ppm
    CH and TA and CYA nearest 10ppm

Your numbers just look too exact, like a computer spit them out ... which it did.

In reality there is no way or need to be that precise.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

I would also suggest getting another test for your CYA from a different source. Color Q's are notorious for inaccurate CYA results.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

If it's a fresh refill, how did the CYA get in the water? What did you add and how much? If my calculations are correct you would have needed to add nearly 8 lbs of CYA to get it to 30. After adding the CYA it can take a while (week) for it to show up completely.
    23x40 freeform w/spa, 28,000 gal. PCC-2000 in-floor cleaning. Pebble Sheen w/flagstone coping. 14' weeping wall, (2) 18" sheer descents. Sta Rite- cart 400 sqft. filter, Intellipro VS pump, 1hp (cleaning)2hp (water feature)Max E Pro's. Easy Touch 8 function w/IPod. Rainbow chlorinator, Paramount Clear O3 (I know, I know), Max-E-Therm 400K heater.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by McFlubbin
    Just wondering, what made my numbers "look like pool store numbers"? I don't think I claimed they were anything other than my own numbers.
    Like was said, your numbers have precision, but we know there are no common testing systems out there that have that accuracy. In addition, I was not aware the Colorq did TDS...that is what really drove my assumption.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by linen
    Quote Originally Posted by McFlubbin
    Like was said, your numbers have precision, but we know there are no common testing systems out there that have that accuracy. In addition, I was not aware the Colorq did TDS...that is what really drove my assumption.
    Yeah, I didn't bother to round off the 0.0x decimal. Just lazily posting what the meter said.

The ColorQ does not have TDS or salt. I have separate tests for those. I am aware, of course, that the TDS value in a SWG environment is always very high.

12. Back To Top    #12

By the way, afaik, your TDS can not be lower than your salt reading.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Bluechip
    If it's a fresh refill, how did the CYA get in the water? What did you add and how much? If my calculations are correct you would have needed to add nearly 8 lbs of CYA to get it to 30. After adding the CYA it can take a while (week) for it to show up completely.
    I put CYA in there.

It was in the 10 lb range over the course of a few days. I'm sure the lag is still affecting the reading.

My original post was concerning TA. I just put up all the numbers I had to get ahead of anyone asking for more data.