Safe to run sweeper when shocking the whooey out of pool?

Apr 13, 2013
East Texas
I'm turning my pea soup back to a sparkling oasis! I'm hoping to let the pump run for an hour or so after last treatment so the chlorine is circulated and then plug in the Polaris 65 sweeper I have to stir up any algea i missed manually sweeping - since I can't see what I'm doing :) Thought I'd let it run till morning and of course remove it before I start adding chlorine again. I'm trying to do everything by the "sparkling oasis" book and wondering if running a sweeper would be breaking the rules and might impede progress. Also curious if anybody knows if the higher chlorine level (~14) could damage the sweeper. The user manual has it's own CYA that says don't use when shocking....

Re: Safe to run sweeper when shocking the whooey out of pool

When shocking to clear a pool, we usually advise to manually vacuum. The condition of the pool in such cases sorta makes the manual act of cleaning a little more appropriate. How "bleachy", for lack of a better term, the chlorine is on objects, skin, and pool equipment really all depends on what your CYA level is though.

Thanks for the welcome :). My CYA IS 30. I hadnt heard the CYA effects the "bleachiness" of the water. Ive seen the way it eats the elastic out of socks in the laundry so i was a bit concerned about sweeper. Considered running it w/o the cloth bag and just let the water jet get everything waterborn. All the solids are out....

With that CYA level, your cleaner will be fine.

I would not remove the bag. Like running your vacuum cleaner without a bag and hoping the HVAC filter will catch what the vacuum throws up into the air.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.