Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Safe to run sweeper when shocking the whooey out of pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Safe to run sweeper when shocking the whooey out of pool?

I'm turning my pea soup back to a sparkling oasis! I'm hoping to let the pump run for an hour or so after last treatment so the chlorine is circulated and then plug in the Polaris 65 sweeper I have to stir up any algea i missed manually sweeping - since I can't see what I'm doing Thought I'd let it run till morning and of course remove it before I start adding chlorine again. I'm trying to do everything by the "sparkling oasis" book and wondering if running a sweeper would be breaking the rules and might impede progress. Also curious if anybody knows if the higher chlorine level (~14) could damage the sweeper. The user manual has it's own CYA that says don't use when shocking....
    Doughboy 1.5 Powerline & AquaView sand filter and BBB. 12k gallons in 24' vinyl AG.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Safe to run sweeper when shocking the whooey out of pool

Welcome to the forum. What is your CYA?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

When shocking to clear a pool, we usually advise to manually vacuum. The condition of the pool in such cases sorta makes the manual act of cleaning a little more appropriate. How "bleachy", for lack of a better term, the chlorine is on objects, skin, and pool equipment really all depends on what your CYA level is though.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the welcome . My CYA IS 30. I hadnt heard the CYA effects the "bleachiness" of the water. Ive seen the way it eats the elastic out of socks in the laundry so i was a bit concerned about sweeper. Considered running it w/o the cloth bag and just let the water jet get everything waterborn. All the solids are out....
    Doughboy 1.5 Powerline & AquaView sand filter and BBB. 12k gallons in 24' vinyl AG.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

With that CYA level, your cleaner will be fine.

I would not remove the bag. Like running your vacuum cleaner without a bag and hoping the HVAC filter will catch what the vacuum throws up into the air.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School