Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: HELP!!! Added borax to my pool & my ph is off the chart!

1. Back To Top    #1

HELP!!! Added borax to my pool & my ph is off the chart!

Please tell me I haven't messed up. I added borax to my pool using the pool calculator and I also added muriatic acid accordingly. That was 48 hours ago and my ph is still off the chart!!! I am wondering now if my MA was the correct %. I bought it at Lowe's and no where on the jug did I see a %. All I can tell you it was for cleaning concrete so my husband seems to think it would have been the higher % stuff.

I don't have my borate test strips yet so I can't check the borates. Now what should I do??? Add a lot more MA to get the ph down???
    I AM LOVING THE SALT WATER AND THE BBB METHOD! 15 yr old 15,300 gal ABG, with 5 yr old liner, 5 yr old AquaTrol SWG, S220T Hayward Sand Filter, 1 1/2 HP 2 speed Hayward Pump, TF100 Test Kit, 11 yr old grandson, 6 yr old grand-quads AND 4 year old triplet grandsons! ~ I AM HAVING FUN NOW!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: HELP!!! Added borax to my pool & my ph is off the chart!

I wanted to add that we have not hooked the SWG up yet for the season so I am using bleach right now. I haven't tested anything else yet. The high ph is worrying me.
    I AM LOVING THE SALT WATER AND THE BBB METHOD! 15 yr old 15,300 gal ABG, with 5 yr old liner, 5 yr old AquaTrol SWG, S220T Hayward Sand Filter, 1 1/2 HP 2 speed Hayward Pump, TF100 Test Kit, 11 yr old grandson, 6 yr old grand-quads AND 4 year old triplet grandsons! ~ I AM HAVING FUN NOW!

3. Back To Top    #3

Most likely it was 15%, but there is no way to be sure and there are several other percentages available. You should add more acid until the PH is back in range. Try not to overshoot and bring the PH down too low.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I know the answer to my question now. We already had some MA in the shed. My husband bought more to put in the pool when we added the borax on Monday night. He just went to check the empty bottles to see what brand they were and he also checked the partial jug we had and they were not the same. Apparantly the jugs we added to the pool were the weaker %. I just sent him to Lowe's to pick up the higher % muriatic acid so I can get that added to the pool tonight. Now I just need to figure how much of the higher % to put in.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you Jason. I looked up the brand online and it was the 15% instead of the 31%. Is it safe to assume that since I put in 3 jugs of 15% instead of 3 jugs of 31%, should I add 1 1/2 jugs of the 31% now?

6. Back To Top    #6

You may need 1.5 jugs of the 31% ... safe to start with 1 though, wait an hour and test and then add more.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank you jblizzle. That is what I will do as soon as my husband gets back from Lowes. I am glad they are open til 10pm. I don't think I could have slept tonight worrying about the high ph.

8. Back To Top    #8

just saw your signature ... Quads AND Triplets??? Same parents?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

Yes, quads and triplets!! Not the same parents. Our oldest daughter had the quads and the 11 year old. She would have committed herself to an insane asylum if she had triplets too!! Our middle daughter had the triplets.